Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

3 days notice!!!!!!

So, one of my dc families is having a hard time. I offered to fill her space for the summer (she is a teacher). She was very greatful as that will help them out a lot. However she came yesterday and said she cannot afford to pay for June and Friday would be his last day until September. So now I am a months payment down and cannot fill the space in 3 days. To try to sort this I advertised a drop in space and I have someone interested who wants to come tomorrow. So my question is do I owe her care until Friday or did she forfeit on the contract so I can too?
    Thanks ladies

What does your contract say? If u have two wks notice or a mth then she can leave in three days but still has to pay you the full notice amount. I don't think u can kick her out early to let in a new one tomorrow. It will depend what the contract says.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

My contract says a months notice, she does not have this money to pay, it's between her mortgage and me so I loose!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarymom View Post
    To try to sort this I advertised a drop in space and I have someone interested who wants to come tomorrow. So my question is do I owe her care until Friday or did she forfeit on the contract so I can too?
    I think I would be leary of someone who would want to start the child the next day. I think you have to go by your contract. But even if you were allowed to do it, wouldn't you want to check out the new family first?

And has this parent forfieted her spot in Sept by pulling out before the summer. That's what I might wonder. You were willing to hold her spot but she isn't giving you the same consideration.

Euphoric !
    I would tell her "I am sorry for your circumstances but my contract states I must be given 1 months notice". I would push the issue too. My contract states I will attend small claims court if not paid. There would certainly be no agreement for September after this has happened.

I had a family try and skip out of paying. Dad got laid off, grandparents picked up kids on payday saying dad would stop by with payment. Dad called shortly after saying kids not coming back. I said I am sorry for your situation but we have a signed contract and you owe me 2 weeks pay (I have since increased my notice period to 3 weeks). Dad freaked saying they were not going to pay blah blah blah. I did up an invoice, gave them a payment plan option over the next month. If the decided not to accept my payment plan I would file through small claim. They ended up making payments and then they were done! My contract also reads all receipts will be held until all fees are collected. They wanted their daycare receipts and didn't want wages garnisheed from small claims.

I have bills, a mortgage, etc there is a reason my contract states 3 weeks notice. I cannot afford to have my pay cut immediately. I get that she has no money to give but that is not your problem. She owes what she owes. You are a bill just like her mortgage and hydro etc. your payment is not optional.
    Last edited by mickyc; 05-27-2015 at 02:14 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Totally agree with mickyc! My payment is not an option. If times are rough, I would work out a payment plan with her but I wouldn't just let it go. I also don't think I'd be giving her the spot in September. I'd fill it as soon as possible.

Lol, I spoke to mom and explained that she would still have to pay for June and that if necessary we could come to some kind of payment plan. She offered to pay over 3 months but now as she is paying for it she wants him to come in June. I now run the risk of providing care that I won't be paid for!!!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarymom View Post
    Lol, I spoke to mom and explained that she would still have to pay for June and that if necessary we could come to some kind of payment plan. She offered to pay over 3 months but now as she is paying for it she wants him to come in June. I now run the risk of providing care that I won't be paid for!!!!
    Are you meaning she wants to take 3 months to pay for the month of June? I think you should give an unqualified "no" to that plan.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

If she wants to send her kid. Then she has to pay before care. If she wants a payment plan then no care. You are running a business not a charity. You need to make sure you get paid.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yes, I completely agree with BlueRose. Although I'm not great at standing up for myself, I think that's the only way. The payment plan is just an option for her so that she'll still have a space available in September. If she wants care in June she needs to pay beforehand.
    Plus, I wouldn't feel bad for her. Unless there has been something huge and unexpected come up (which is why she should have an emergency fund), chances are she's just over spending in general.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post: