Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

DC parents...sheesh!

vent- my 6.40 arrival has been dropped off after 7....so much for needing early drop off- why do i bother getting up so early?. yesterday it was 7.15 and dad was in a hurry.

I have been asking every day this week for the kid's bag. I have no change of clothes for the kid, no hat (she is using another child's spare), no sunscreen. Dad Claimed hadn't done laundry yet (really? She hasn't had a change of clothes all week, it's now Thursday, why have you not done your kids laundry when you know you have needed it all week??? ) says he already put sunscreen on her, but didnt leave the bottle for reapplication later. On Monday he said 'call me if she has an accident and I will come bring you new clothes'. (So why the hell not just put them in her bag!) I asked him again why I don't have all that stuff and he really didn't have an answer, he just left in a hurry. I even suggested a few weeks ago he leave the bag with all the supplies I need and he said he couldn't because the child doesn't have a lot of clothes and he can't spare them and doesnt have eXtra sun screen. If it were a case where the the family were having difficulties, I would without a doubt help them oUT but It's not like they are hurting, trust me. It's just stupidness.

Euphoric !
    I would without a doubt help them oUT but It's not like they are hurting, trust me. It's just stupidness.[/QUOTE]

You can't fix stupidness!!

You'll need to either make it firm and clear the child doesn't stay without the supplies. Or you'll have to accept that you need to scramble on your end to gather supplies for the child to use.

I know you can't make the child have an accident (and I assume it is rare she has one) but can you make her filthy or soaked or something to have to call and have him bring a change of clothes? Maybe if he gets in the pattern of having calls to disrupt his day, he'll make the effort to bring the supplies, for his sake (not yours, of course).

Outgoing
    It is rare that she has an accident but doesn't mean it wont happen.we will certainly be having another conversation about it at pick up And I will once again tell him I need all supplies. It's all laid out in the contract, it's nothing new.

Euphoric !
    This is why all supplies must be left here. I have a box for each child. In it I require pants, shorts, t-shirt, sweater, socks, underwear. I go through it in spring and fall and send things home that need to be replaced with a new list. I also quit expecting parents to supply sunscreen. In May I add an additional $10 to their fee. That covers sunscreen I buy. That way it's here and what I want.

This has helped cut my issues down to the minimum. I still have that one parent though!! Lol. Dcb had an accident last week. I changed him, she brought me extras to replace them but his dirty peed on clothes are still in a bag in his backpack!! Then because he is allergic to certain sunscreens she wanted to bring her own. Well I just got that bottle the other day. All my other kids have been using sunscreen off and on for a month now.

Unfortunately some parents just can't get with it!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have one family who I reminded yesterday that I am all out of diapers, I sent their boy home in one of my daughter's. I then sent a text message last night again reminding them I am out of diapers. Guess who didn't bring diapers today. I am keeping a tally of how many of my diapers I am using for their child and will be letting them know that I will be taking that out of their supply, if/when they bring more.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtimesacharm View Post
    I have one family who I reminded yesterday that I am all out of diapers, I sent their boy home in one of my daughter's. I then sent a text message last night again reminding them I am out of diapers. Guess who didn't bring diapers today. I am keeping a tally of how many of my diapers I am using for their child and will be letting them know that I will be taking that out of their supply, if/when they bring more.
    I'd send him home in just his pants! That'll get their attention quick when they have to clean the carseat! Heehee

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtimesacharm View Post
    "If/when?!?!" Wow. You are being too accommodating and in turn are actually enabling this behavior. I would never let a child come for the day without their supplies especially not diapers! Here parents get ONE reminder. If I don't have diapers for their kid, then I guess they are keeping them home that day. Sorry.

I send an email at the beginning of every season with a list of what the kids need to be wearing for outdoor play and I always mention in it that if they fail to provide said things on the list they will have to go back home and get them before they can leave their child with me.

Send these parents a text reminding them that no diapers/supplies=no care and see what they show up with in the morning

I think sometimes we can give reminders in so many forms that we go blue in the face and it just doesn't make a dam bit of difference. Then it is a matter of consequences....If the parent drops off without diapers, natural consequences for them should be to go home and get them immediately, or their child can not attend daycare that day. I can give every parent the benefit of the doubt, but not more than once, that is ridiculous.

Parent not bringing spare clothes.....if their child does not come with everything they need for the day, which includes spare clothes, then they are not allowed to attend daycare. No sunscreen means the child can not take part in daycare activities with the rest of the kids so can not attend daycare that day. Do not make polite suggestions, all this does is give them a choice. Make it very clear that this is not an option. Spare clothes and sunscreen are mandatory for a child to attend. If they don't come, neither does the child!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I guess wording in contract should say parents supply such and such (which i have in my contract) but also add, if parents fail to replenish supply, then child cannot attend daycare - fees still due.

Starting to feel at home...
    In this case dad did the drop off and he had to get the kids out the door and here for 7am. The girl had her tank top on backwards lol. I don't mind, I am pretty lenient and on great terms with this family. I let mom know at pick up and she was very apologetic and said she had them by the door and had told him, but, he's doing the best he can getting them here and must have forgot. I laugh about it and tell them they are just lucky my daughter wears the same size and that I will be taking them out of their bag they bring tmrw. Sometimes I think little favours and bonuses like this is the personal touch in home daycare.
    Go on, tell me I am beig used or manipulated, but I don't find it that big a deal. We are (almost) all parents and are all doing the best we can.