Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Ilegal Daycare...Should I Report? Bill 10 Will Hurt Kids

Hi everyone

So I finally opened up my home daycare on Friday. I have filled one spot and have a few interviews set up for this week. I took my kids and daycare kids to the park today where I met a very sweet nice young lady. She was in her early 20's and told me she runs a home daycare privately. During our conversation I found out that there is a married couple in the area who rent out a space specifically for daycare purposes. They are apparently former elementary school teachers and take in 12-20 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    I want to report it because I'm very worried but at the same time it's none of my business and I don't want to get involved. When I got home I tried to imagine how on earth I could "hide" 7 kids in my house without families noticing. There is no way!! So when parents say " Oh the provider tricked me, I had NO idea", I don't buy it for a second.

I read over this new Bill 10 and I'm trying to give everyone the benefit but I don't see how this is going to help. If numbers are an issue then why can a daycare affiliated with an agency have six kids and if they partner up with another licensed provider they can have 12 kids? So why can't I partner up with another private provider and have 10 kids?

If daycare safety is an issue to the point where we have to put restrictions on private daycares then how will the government find the daycares that don't follow bill 10 or even the number because there are many out there.

Lastly, no matter how many daycare spaces are available to take clients away from home daycares there a MANY people who cant afford to pay centre rates. How will the government find these places that are going to have all these kids. This bill only works out for the government and for the people who do daycare illegally. Providers who are following the rules and turning clients away and are giving the illegal providers more and more potential clients.

I don't know if I am missing something here but this is the impression I get from the new Bill.
    Last edited by TinyTwigs; 06-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Of coarse the bill works out in favour of the gov. That was their plan
    Privately u can only have five kids per resident regardless how many adults are on site and with an agency you can have six per resident. If this couple is renting a place and is register as a centre they are probably legal. But if they just rent a space and are private then yes that is ilegal. It's up to you if u want to report. Your name and details won't be released that stays private. I have reported an over ratio private daycare before and I would do it again in an heartbeat. The govnment basically will find illegal private run daycares by ppl calling. On another post someone said the ministry can look up daycare ads and swing by to see if they are in compliance. I know it's hard when we follow the rules and u see or hear of others raking in the money with over ratio daycare but it's in our best interest to follow the rules and make sure we are good. Because all those out there will get caught at some pt, they can't hide it forever and then they will get a nice $250,000 fine!!

Expansive...
    It's not up to you to decide whether or not there is illegal activity going on, it's simply up to you to report SUSPECTED illegal activity and let the government do the rest. I don't see it as you getting "involved" per se because your part will be minimal (however critical) in the grand scheme.

If they are indeed found to be running a daycare illegally then you will have done them a huge favor by reporting them now, before the Bill takes effect, instead of later on when the fines for operating illegally will be astronomical.

It is a private home daycare run by two people so chances are it is illegal if they are taking in 12-17 kids. I am more concerned about the children's safety than how much money they are making. I don't think the government will go through the trouble of going to these sites to find private home daycare when they have providers reporting people for them.

Euphoric !
    As some said it isn't up to you to determine if it is illegal, report suspicions and the proper people straighten out the details.

There is a chance, especially being past teachers, that they are running an after school type program and have older school age children. The age cut off for ratios is changing but maybe the kids are all older. Or maybe they are all older but are being run like a private school so they have 12kids but none are 2,3,4 years old etc. Without knowing the details you really can't tell if they are legit. But, knowing that there is a home daycare with 12+ kids puts you in the position to report so it can be followed up with.

Also, I am not sure on the details and it may vary by province but do home daycare not have to be in YOUR home? Like you need to live there, can't just rent a house to be run as a business without living in it? That would put them in a position of needing a daycare centre permit and all that jazz.

It's not an after school program. Their daycare is filled with 12-24 month old children. How this was even discovered is a parent when to pick up their child saw 6 different children they have never seen a few days before and heard crying coming from a separate bed room. So right there tells you they are over their number since they are private. If they were licensed they are allowed to have 12. They are private so as some said regardless of how many caregivers are in the house they can only have 5 children. I know for a fact they are private and not licensed.

Then go ahead and report. Give names and address if you have those details. Leave the rest up to them.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTwigs View Post
    Hi everyone

I want to report it because I'm very worried but at the same time it's none of my business and I don't want to get involved.

If daycare safety is an issue to the point where we have to put restrictions on private daycares then how will the government find the daycares that don't follow bill 10 or even the number because there are many out there.

there a MANY people who cant afford to pay centre rates. How will the government find these places that are going to have all these kids.
    Illegal day care will always run. You figured that out anyway just not quite joined all the dots properly.

Parent who cannot afford care, parent who need cheaper care, will always pay under the table if cheap enough. Parent totally aware it illegal but isn't going to turn in their provider and with others knowing and turning a blind eye, will ensure they get away with it.

The only way the government will find is if people report. Only other time they might be reported is if client not happy and then they do it after they leave.

Euphoric !
    You can report to your Province but you can also report to CRA. Chances are they not writing receipts for all these kids with SIN number. CRA does warn when you report that they not give your name but if you close to illegal provider and know them, they might suspect it you. Since you not know them, you have no concern about them getting annoyed with you.

To report to CRA, you call http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/nvstgtns/lds/bfr-eng.html. This department does not have caller ID and they do not take your name but they need illegal providers name, address, telephone number if you have it and any details you can provide.

Expansive...
    I would report it because I am thinking of the safety of the children and nothing else
    it is daycares that are illegal and not caring about ratio numbers of children that are allowed that give the rest of us a bad name