Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Personally...it shouldn't matter which part of the city you live in...like I said in my earlier post...I have had 2 parents tell me I undercharge...I live in east scarborough..just this side of pickering???? I CAN LITERALLY SPIT INTO PICKERING FROM MY HOUSE...LOL. They say I should be charging 45.00/day....what parent tells their provider THAT?
    I think it has to do with more supply and demand in your area and how affluent the community is that you live in. Obviously, if I was living in an area with a lower socioeconomic population in Toronto my fees would reflect that. But so would my mortgage!

I think it does matter where in the city a provider is located. Convenience comes at a price just like how certain people are worth more to some based on their meal plans, structure and programming. Obviously it is personal perspective too. It's not about it being a better area than another but like torontokids said, depending on the socioeconomic population of a particular area, will for sure have an influence on cost of daycare. Demographics always play a part in cost of services. Location, average income and house price, proximity to "that" school, to public transit etc etc Also supply and demand. There is a shortage of childcare in some places which results in what is there, to come at a premium. It isn't exclusive to the daycare industry either. Areas of the GTA vary significantly in all of these areas, including crime rates too which plays a huge part in any urban centre when value is placed on the location of any service. Now everyone has different priorities which for sure adds some variance, and definitely doesn't mean one childcare provider is better than another at all, but one may have different influences making their services able to command a higher rate and in some cases, quite rightly so.

I was charging $47 for full time care per day back in 2008 in South East Burlington and never had a single issue with charging this. It was that price because of the reputation the location had. I believe it was ridiculous and didn't warrant it at all, but it was the market and I wasn't about to complain. I dread to think how much it would cost now. There were 17 providers in a 1 block radius of me. Burlington is saturated in providers but is still able to charge high rates because it is Burlington. Now in Niagara Region I have only raised my rates once in the last 6 years but that is because there was a huge shortage of providers for the first couple of years and then there was a sudden influx of stay at home mums who opened daycares and started to undercharge us originals by a good 10-15 dollars a day. So in this case something else effected the cost of my services. Whether we think it is to steep a cost or not for childcare regardless of location, as long as there are enough people willing and able to pay the going rate, then that is what will keep the rates in that price range.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 06-29-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Tiny Twigs...when you say you live in Toronto....where in Toronto? $60-80,,,,norm

Beaches and areas close to downtown Yonge St