Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Bill 10-school care

Hi everyone,

Am I just imagining this or as part of Bill 10 was there not a section that said that once the bill takes effect all schools will be obligated to make room for ALL kids who need before and after school care?

I am wondering because I will be reentering the "workforce" in the fall and it is highly likely that my kids will need either before or after school care and spots are filling up already. So it would ease my mind a bit if I didn't have to stress about that so much.

I talked to the lady who works at the center attached to my kids school and she of course has no idea what Bill 10 is.

Thanks in advance

Euphoric !
    What they say on paper is likely not to be true in the 'real world' I would NOT expect there to suddenly be enough spaces for ALL children that need after school care this fall. Maybe a couple years from now...but not this fall. I would assume the spaces they have now are what they have in fall...perhaps a few extras.

I would play it safe and make sure you have a plan in place if there is no space in the school.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Not sure about Ontario but lots of school here offer BAS care. Their program is not subject to same limits because it's a school based program but all local schools offering the service, do so through a private company. The employees are often the same as used for lunch time supervision.

However, the schools are limited to the numbers the room has been assessed as safely holding. Lot of schools use the school gym for BAS club which is certified by fire marshalls as having a max capacity. The school could not exceed that. Some schools not have gym available after school hours due to sports teams needing it so use different room. Again, numbers are limited to size of room.

I don't think many schools would be able to provide after school care to all student but they do offer it to all. Spaces are offered to all students but spaces allocated on certain criteria. FT places get offered first and younger grades have priority.

Just because they have to offer to all, doesn't mean they can provide to all so I would think some will miss out.

Remember too, snow days, in service days, school holidays and any day school closed to students, means no care. Would still have to count own kids in ratio for those days when you need spaces.

Starting to feel at home...
    Fun&Care what area are you from? I was told last week that this might come into effect in some areas but not all, which confused me even more. But like Suzie said I don't think it's possible to find space for that many kids.

Outgoing
    The Bill only says schools have to offer B&A care "where there is a sufficient need" or something along those lines. There is nothing in there about what constitutes a "need." I have heard the number 15 (meaning 15 interested parents) tossed around, but as far as I know, it isn't written anywhere.

My own kids' school has a B&A program, but it only has 5 kindergarten spots (for JK and SK) and there are 3 full JK/SK split classes every year. The waiting list is miles long, and preference is given to siblings of kids already in the program. It is also expensive ($23 a day for before and after) and only offers limited hours on PA days.

I have a dck at the Catholic school across from my house, and they don't have a program at all. I have to term her to stay within Bill 10 rules next year, and the school has already told her parents that they have no plans to start a program. I have no idea where she is going to go. That school is smaller, but my clients can't be the only parents inquiring!

I guess my point is, not every school is going to offer a program, and the spaces can still be extremely limited in the schools that do. I'd check with your particular school NOW and try and get on a waiting list for the next school year.

Expansive...
    I am in Ottawa. I actually was just offered a space but turned it down because I have no clue what I will be doing for employment and it just seemed like a gamble. I'm aiming to work part time and on those wages would likely not be able to afford before AND after school care so would have to go with either before or after but there is just no way of me knowing which one I will need until I actually find a job...

I thought for sure that schools were going to have to make more spaces as I thought I read that on here a while back, some providers were worried about losing their school aged kids. Must have been my imagination. In a perfect world maybe we could manage without b/a care altogether but we shall see.

Oh shucks! I didn't hear anything for Ottawa but I heard that this might apply to Toronto. How is it possible that the only thing that is clear about this new bill is the 250 000 dollar fine we have to pay lol this is so ridiculous. It almost feels like they are giving us a hard time on purpose so we quit home daycare on our own.

That's what they are trying to do. Make us quit. So only centre run business are being used. They make more money off of them. And they also control them more.

Oh agreed! But I mean more about not making the Bill clear to us. I don't know why but it feels they are keeping him so we have to hunt it down god knows where