Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Going to the park

I know a lot of us are divided on this issue and I've posted about it a million times but I am wondering what you would do.

Currently, we have not gone to the park since the Fall. Once winter hit, we stuck to the backyard and this has been nice. My backyard is fully fenced and has a climber more appropriate for this age group. In a month I will also have my 5 y.o DD home with the daycare for part of the summer (she is attending 2 wks of day camp and we are going away for 2 wks as well) so I will be at 7 kids (my 2 plus 5 DCKs).

Today we went to the park at the school across the road. It was a PD day so my DD was with us. This showed me good insight into what the summer would look like and although it went well, I find the whole outing stressful. I am also not sure how much fun it is for the majority of the kids as I won't let the little ones (80% of my DC group) go on the climber. The climber is large and my rule at the park has always been that only kids that can do it independently can go on the climbers.

I have been thinking about hiring some help this summer but also to cover the DC when I get pregnant and go on OB appts. I was thinking during nap today that maybe I will still hire someone and have them take my girls out (3 and 5 yo) to the park on occasion and I stay with the DC kids.

The DC parents all seemed excited we were going to the park today, so were the DC kids. Not sure if I should send out an email re: safety and due to the age of the group we'll stick around at DC doing tons of fun activities but still go on walks etc or just not go and not mention it? I can plan for super fun days in the backyard but I am worried about boredom for me and the kids!

My group last summer was at the park 3 times a week as they were much older. That group went off to kindergarten though

Euphoric !
    I should also mention I have a bit of a dare devil in my group who fell off my Little Tikes climber last week and needed 2 stitches. This is an age appropriate climber (the 8 in 1) however she started to climb up on top of the tunnel (after I already told her not to) and fell. This situation has made me even more nervous.

Euphoric !
    Go ahead with your plan. Don't tell the parents that you plan to not take the daycare kids. While you have the helper...once in a while take all the daycare kids and see how it goes with an extra set of hands. I wouldn't inform parents of safety concerns as it backs you into a corner later if you try to bring the group. Some parents may call you out on the fact you said it wasn't safe but now you want to do it. Just leave it as something special for your kids who are older and are 'stuck at home sharing mom all week".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    We go to the park almost daily. We go for a nice walk and then usually end up at the park.

The playground at our park is rated for aged 18 months to 12 years and has a staircase as well as various ladders. The little ones have to use the stairs only and the small slide (the one I can stand beside and help as they are learning). The older ones can climb up to the top and the bigger slide. I have a few rules:
    -if you can't safely climb off of something, you may not climb up it.
    -if you are wearing crocs or flip flops, you may only use the stairs and you may not climb on the ladders/monkey bars/other metal climber things.
    -we stay together as a group
    -woodchips stay on the ground.
    There are probably more that I can't think of right now.

I will add that I have an older group of kids for the most part, so while we play in the yard, I find we also need to be out walking and burning off energy at the park too.

Last summer we hardly ever went to the park. I had some dcks that wouldn't listen to me and I didn't trust that they would follow my direction as well I had a set of siblings who fought and SCREAMED all the time with each other, so I didn't really enjoy dealing with that out in pubic.

I'm sure if you stayed in your yard it would be fine. I don't think you need to say anything to the parents unless they ask. Maybe save park outings for days that some dcks are on holidays and you have lower numbers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For what it is worth I do believe children (especially daredevils) need to be able to explore and test their personal limits. Yes it sucks when they need stiches. But, they learned a huge lesson about what they can and cannot handle on their own and they will hopefully take that into consideration when they next try to attempt such a thing. As our motto was in a daycare I used to work with..."Children can't learn to balance unless they are put in an unbalanced environment" we used to bring all the toddlers to a huge (HUGE) grass hill by the daycare and let them try and figure out how to get up and down. It was a suitable challenge that gave them tons of feedback about how to manage their bodies. They fell, tumbled and got bumps along the way but in time they learned better balance. Sometimes kids need to fall and get hurt to know how to not fall next time! Try not to be too nervous about them climbing!!

Of course, use reason and common sense too lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree what you are saying Lee Bee and I am generally pretty laid back (more so about my own kids) but this kid is taking a lot of risks. The day she came back from having her stitches she tried to do the same thing again (she is supposed to keep it easy for 2 wks as it was a head injury and she is still healing). I think if I had a smaller group where I could be right next to her when she is trying these things then fine but the reality is I am helping lot's of kids.

Euphoric !
    I have one less child (my 14 mos old) 2 days a week. Those are the days I will hire someone.

Expansive...
    I don't take my kids to the park ever. They are never bored in the yard. Honestly, it's just not worth the stress/ worry for me. It's a bit of a hike to a playground but I wouldn't go anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I should also mention I have a bit of a dare devil in my group who fell off my Little Tikes climber last week and needed 2 stitches. This is an age appropriate climber (the 8 in 1) however she started to climb up on top of the tunnel (after I already told her not to) and fell. This situation has made me even more nervous.

I wish the company had plastic molded something on top of the tunnel to make it uncomfortable to be up there. My dcks go up there too all the time and have fallen off hard. I understand because it's a challenge they enjoy, but if one falls off and lands wrong way on neck.... I don't think we can glue something up there ourselves to deter? Probably would make it unsafe too.

I am a block down from a large green space with a large park. It's often one of the first thing a perspective new daycare family remarks at. And I tell them straight away that we almost never go to the park. I cannot possibly have my eyes on all at the same time...even when the park is completely vacant. I find it so incredibly stressful! I just don't take that chance. Heck, even with my own older 2 children I've never been that parent sitting on the bench chatting away with other parents. We have a huge fenced in back yard and are at the end of a tiny dead end...as well we take lots of adventures on the nature trails nearby...lots of alternatives.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post: