3.5k
Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Expansive... Other Mummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    532
    Thanked
    180 Times in 130 Posts

    What would you do..?

    Was hoping to get others opinion on this....I already know what I'm doing, just curious as to others might handled it.

    I've got a 2 yr old dcb in care for the last 6 months. He is a handful to say at the least. He is also very big for 2. He could pass for 4 years old easily. He does not care or understand personal boundaries. Will climb and sit on other children, will not listen, thinks its hilarious to run away from the group when we are at the park, is aggressive (but sweet natured, just does not understand that he cannot whack a friend to get a reaction, etc.). I've contemplated terminating care, but we were making slow (very slow) progress. The other children groan when he arrives at daycare.

    His mom announced her pregnancy a few months ago. She is due in December. I'm trying to plan for next year's enrolment. I asked her if she is planning to keep dcb enrolled or pull him for her mat. leave. She insisted that her and dcd will keep him as he needs the socialization (very true). Last week she told me that her and dcd spoke and she is pulling him for her mat. leave. But in Oct or Nov. Not in December when she is due. Okay whatever. So in interviewing for my Sept. spot (I have a 4 yr old dcg leaving for school) I found 2 clients. 1 for Sept.(they signed on) and 1 needs a spot for October. I'm meeting the October family tonight. They are very interested as we had a mini interview on the phone prior.

    I'm thinking to term my current dcb at the beginning of October. I will give them 3 weeks notice to find alternate care for the few weeks they will need. This way I have my spots filled with no lapse in weeks. I've gone months in the past trying to find clients and income reduced/stressed, etc. This time the daycare Gods have smiled on me. Part of me feels a little bad terming them, but I have to do what I need to do to pay bills and support my family. If I leave this family in care, I will have to search in October/November to fill that spot. It could take weeks/months. And he is my 'problem' child. You know the kind you dread when they pull up in the driveway.

    What would some of you do?

  2. #2
    Euphoric !
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanked
    485 Times in 368 Posts
    I would term him early too to fit your new family. Since Mom intended pulling for her mat leave before baby was born anyway, it isn't a case that she was hoping to get new baby in a routine before leaving your care.
    You have to do what suits your business first so even if this child was dream to watch, it seems like letting him go on your schedule would be best.
    They were planning to leave Oct-Nov anyway and you can't plan a replacement with such a big time frame. It only reasonable that you plan for him leave earliest and protect your income.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Expansive...
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    629
    Thanked
    267 Times in 182 Posts
    I think that if she told you October then it is perfectly fair for you to fill the spot. It can be hard to come by opportunities to fill a spot so if this family seems like a good fit at interview then definitely go for it. No sense risking have a spot open for weeks or months.

  5. #4
    Expansive... babydom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    770
    Thanked
    283 Times in 223 Posts
    I would also term early and fill for October with new family

  6. #5
    Euphoric !
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanked
    629 Times in 475 Posts
    For me personally I always accomodate the families I have in care before any potential new families. So in your case I would ask mom for a set date in writing. Tell her you are starting to advertise, need to know an exact date as you have families interested. Once you know their end date I would start advertising for that date, tell any potential families that is the start date. I would never term just because something better came along sooner. That is just me. No family is a guarantee and no child is a guarantee to be a wonderful child. New family could potentially pull out last minute, not work out etc and you could be left trying to fill spot anyways.

  7. #6
    Euphoric ! bright sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,070
    Thanked
    805 Times in 562 Posts
    I don't think this is a case of termination. I think it is just a matter of having a conversation about a mutually agreeable date and taking the lead based on what your new family needs. While nothing is a guarantee, what is a guarantee is that this family will pull this child...she has already told you as much. She has given you a vague time line so now the ball is in your court to agree on a firm date. It doesn't have to be a termination, simply state that you have a family looking for care on XX of October and that needs to be the finish date for her son. She likely wont have an issue with it, and I don't agree that this is you terming them for another family. This is you taking her directive of finishing Oct/Nov and firming up a date that works for you as a business woman.

  8. #7
    Euphoric !
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanked
    751 Times in 483 Posts
    I think I would just caution you to try and set a firm end date sooner than later. There is a chance they will change their mind (a few times) if they just assume their space is there space until they decide to officially leave (they technically have already changed their mind once). So right now they plan to pull him in the fall...but maybe in a couple weeks they decide to keep him in until new baby is a couple months old. Then baby is born and they decide to pull him right away. I would caution filling their space for October now but waiting until 3 weeks before to tell them.

  9. #8
    Expansive...
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    712
    Thanked
    181 Times in 160 Posts
    I would talk to the preg. Mom about the new family and let them know that Oct. suits them better and I was wondering if their date of leaving would help the new family for Oct....and if they can't the new family may have to ask family members to help them out for a month, that way it is a win/win for the two families- I love your expression "Daycare Gods" it seems so true

  10. #9
    Starting to feel at home...
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    93
    Thanked
    23 Times in 19 Posts
    I would do what you're planning on doing.

  11. #10
    Shy
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Thanked
    19 Times in 13 Posts
    Do what's right for YOU and your family.
    Yes, we want to be "nice" and accommodating. But where does nice get you when you let them call the shots and you're left struggling to fill the spots later on?

    All the power to the people who can afford to be nice. I just prefer looking out for my business, my finances, and my family's well being.... because nobody else will.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowmom For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

A few tips...

If you visited or if you're using a childcare provider found on DaycareBear, do not hesitate to leave a review. This will most certainly help other parents!
Updates
We expect providers to keep their listing and available openings up-to-date. However, to prevent oversights, openings expire after 45 days.
Partner in your
search for a daycare provider