Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I have had this situation come up before and I just handled it by talking to the leaving family or in one case "suspected leaving" family. Both times it worked out well and they accommodated me. They also want to keep in good graces with me if they want me to take their next child.

I personally would tell them that I have a family for October that wants the spot and see what they would say. I wouldn't have a hard time telling them that their end date will be end of September if it was when they said they were going to go anyways. If they needed until Oct 15th I would see if the other family could accommodate this (I find most do if they really want the spot). If they can't then I let the first family know that unfortunately this other family is taking the spot Oct 1st and you are telling them now so they can make alternative plans.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
    Do what's right for YOU and your family.
    Yes, we want to be "nice" and accommodating. But where does nice get you when you let them call the shots and you're left struggling to fill the spots later on?

All the power to the people who can afford to be nice. I just prefer looking out for my business, my finances, and my family's well being.... because nobody else will.
    I think you are referring to my post. I cannot afford to be nice but in this business a good reputation goes a long way especially in a smaller community. I for one would never advertise unless I had a set date from mom on when they are leaving. I have never had to go through this as I only interview for open spots not potential spots. I am busy and don't waste time meeting with parents unnecessarily. I treat people as I would like to be treated. I would never get rid of a family just because someone better came along. I would get a date from mom and then interview for that start date. I know a lot of families don't give their providers the same curtesy but that is just how I am as a person.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I think you are referring to my post. I cannot afford to be nice but in this business a good reputation goes a long way especially in a smaller community. I for one would never advertise unless I had a set date from mom on when they are leaving. I have never had to go through this as I only interview for open spots not potential spots. I am busy and don't waste time meeting with parents unnecessarily. I treat people as I would like to be treated. I would never get rid of a family just because someone better came along. I would get a date from mom and then interview for that start date. I know a lot of families don't give their providers the same curtesy but that is just how I am as a person.
    I'm not specifically referring to anyone.
    If it works for you, that's great.
    I certainly don't mean to come across harsh, but I personally just feel that no parents are going to look out for your best interest as a provider/business. Providers in general are the "nice" people. We want to be accommodating. We want to make everyone happy.
    In my opinion, you need to do what's best for YOU.
    If waiting for the parents to decide when their departure time will be is not going to impact you financially, and it's something you want to do, then all power to you.
    If it WILL impact you financially to have an empty space while waiting to find someone else (when you potentially could have had ZERO lead time between filling spaces) then why would that make sense to do?
    Just because it benefits the family that's leaving?

I understand being courteous. I'm not suggesting wording a termination in a rude or disrespectful way. I'm am suggesting that if opportunity arises to fill a space with someone you feel is the right fit...fill it.

If a parent is going to bad mouth a provider for looking out for his/her best interest, then I think that says more about the parent than the provider.
    Last edited by Snowmom; 06-08-2015 at 03:26 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry still disagree. It's kinda like a get them before they get me attitude IMO. I would never do it, I don't like it when others do it to me. Like I said though I would never advertise a spot until I had a definite end date, but that is just me.

this is it though. They won't give me an exact end date but 'sometime in October or November' So I'm going to give them an end date of end of September. My letter will be to the point and more of an 'ending of contract of care' rather then "Termination". Thanks for all your posts. In the end, I have to look out for myself and my own family. I've been burned to many times and left weeks/months trying to fill a spot. When the Daycare Gods give you a break, you don't throw it to the wind LOL

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You can't run a business with loose information. All businesses need operate at max capacity when possible.

I think if this were dream client, maybe I'd tackle differently but where on-going issue with behaviour of child, I would be looking for replacement anyway in order to term. If child not listening and getting hands-on with other children, it might affect other clients confidence in the well being of own children.

Since this person has indicated leaving, since they already changed the date once, since they can't give firm leaving date, since child is difficult, since they are planning on leaving before new baby born, I not view it as getting them before they get you.

Interview this new client, see if they good fit which they might not be, cause if not, this is all mute anyway. If you like new family, see if there any flexibility in their starting date. Then sit down face-to-face with current client, explain that there is replacement family needing care in October and since they have said this fit in their requirement notice time frame, that you intend offering the place to them effective 1st Oct. so that is the end date they need to work towards.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

The family loved my program and we're a great fit. They are dropping off signed paper work later today. My current dcf will be getting notice 3 weeks (I have 2 weeks in my contract, so I'm giving them an extra week to find alternate care). They will be getting notice 3 weeks prior to new family starting. thanks everyone.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    All niceness and such aside both parties signed a contract and the contract should have in it the amount of time each party needs to give in order to end the contract and end care.

As long as you give that much time you are fine. You did not sign a contract saying you would do care forever, would do care until they ended care...you just said you would provide 2 weeks notice when you need to end care.

After that, each provider and each family will all have their own personal opinion on whether or not it is fair to end care with one family to start with another family in your best interest. But really, as with anything in life everyone will have a different opinion and at the end of the day both parties just need to go by the contract terms.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Well said Lee-Bee.