Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help ! :(

Starting to feel at home...

Help ! :(

Hi ladies!

I hope everyone is having a good Monday. I have an issue that I am dealing with and I have no idea how to solve the problem. I was going to do my own home daycare 8 months ago but had surgery and had to wait until I was okay. Eight months ago I had this bright idea of renting out an apartment (I have two that I am currently renting out in the same building) I use both for living but one is more daycare then the other ( whole apartment is daycare except the bedroom).

I find that people don't like this or I'm just feeling very discouraged. I had three interviews last week and they all fell through. The families said they loved me loved the program but the location isn't good. I had 5 interviews set up for this week and 2 out of the five cancelled as soon as I gave them my address.

This contract is done in October 1st ( thank god) but unless I fill up my spaces I can't save to get a house.

There was a mom who ran a home daycare a year ago in this building on the same floor, she opened in Sept and filled by Jan.

The condos are very nice, we have 2 great parks near by and a Early Years Centre.

I am on the top floor (11th) because this floor was the most quite and had the least amount of residents.

I balcony doors have 5 locks on them and our pretend play kitchen set goes all the way across so there's no way of getting out.

Any insight and advice with my so appreciated

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately you cannot change how people feel about your location as hard as it may be.

My daycare is a bit out of the way for most people so I have issues filling spots too.

I wonder if dodgedrive has any advice, she is in an apartment building....

Expansive...
    I don't have a ton of advice but did want to mention that I struggled to fill spots as well when I lived in an apartment. I had a LOT of no shows and cancellations. I had a great ad, phone interview always went really well but once I gave them my address for a meet and greet they disappeared and never got back to me and I strongly sensed that it was due to my living in an apartment. The clients I did sign on we're living in apartments themselves so I think they could look past my location. Things changed quite a lot once we moved into a townhouse.

If you are renting out two apartments in one building could you not drop one and save up for a house? As a parent I'm not sure that it would sit well with me that you have two apartments in one building. My fear would be that you go back and forth between the locations and leave the kids unattended (not saying you actually do this though). What if you just did daycare in one apartment but take less kids and promote a low ratio? Surely without that extra apartment it would work out financially?

Expansive...
    I think it probably just conflicts with the original image that the parents have in mind when considering a home daycare. A family home with a yard, with more of a home feel than a centre feel. The concept is GREAT, and would be ideal for any provider to be able to have a separate small space completely dedicated to their business and program...I think it would just take the right parents that are able to move past what they had already imagined in their heads.

Hi, I got your PM, but thought I would address it here. I am not trying to scare you by any means, but please please check your bylaws to ensure that you are allowed to run a business in your home/rent space. I got in a huge fight with my condo board, and eventually got an exception, but was almost forced out in the process.

I know if I did not have an exception, I would be in violation of my condo bylaws and would have to cease business or leave.

Maybe it's the 11th floor? I know the doors are lock but as a mom I think if there's a fire...it take awhile to get five kids down and out safely and quickly. If your renting two appt. would it cost the same to rent a townhouse?? Maybe thatd work out better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Couple of thoughts.

1. Check your regs. A dayhome by definition is a place you live in, your primary residence. If you are living mainly in a different apartment, then here in PEI at least, that would could as a day care centre and require different licensing and regs. If you intention with getting the second apartment was one would be day care, I think you must check into this more.

2. I think the 11th floor is more issue than an apartment. It lot of up and down even in elevator for outside play and I guessing you have don't have roof top garden.

3. Some people not like idea of apartment.

4. Why renting two places and living in both? Can you sub-let one to improve financial situation? Is renting two places any less than renting house?

thank you so much for all of your help. I tried to sell my space the best that I could. There are some pros and cons but at the end of the day it is what it is and you cant make everyone happy. I opened up on June 1st and the first few days I was having the worst luck!! I guess the daycare gods heard me lol and I am officially full!!!!

I wish everyone the best of luck filling spots!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyTwigs For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTwigs View Post
    thank you so much for all of your help. I tried to sell my space the best that I could. There are some pros and cons but at the end of the day it is what it is and you cant make everyone happy. I opened up on June 1st and the first few days I was having the worst luck!! I guess the daycare gods heard me lol and I am officially full!!!!

I wish everyone the best of luck filling spots!!
    That's great! Hope everything works out for you and the dcks.