Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Fantastic family; tough transition

Perhaps this is just a vent...as I know this too shall pass.
    This is the third child I have had for same family. Kind, generous, supportive family. But honestly, if it wasn't this family I would have termed this child. Now week 7; he just turned 1. Cries ALL day (unless I am holding him), not napping AT ALL (Cries all nap). He is finally eating, but if I try to spoon feed he takes the food out of his mouth (so, I just let him self feed). I now refuse to hold him (he is a heavy child, not walking or moving much), but do sit beside him and reassure him, but he tries to climb me and screams if I move away in the slightest. Our outdoor time has been minimal as a result....he screams the entire time (I've tried a stroller, an outdoor stationery walker, a blanket and also a playpen with toys...my poor neighbours). Other 2 siblings have been great; transition was no fuss and no issues at all. Even older sibling does not help in calming this child (he says he cries like that at home too). Mom says it's the same at home. She can't even make supper; Dad does it. It doesn't help that my other 2 that started 9 months ago are terrible nappers as well....sleep for, if I'm lucky an hour and wide awake chatting loudly. I am running out of spots to isolate these terrible nappers so they aren't waking the rest! Sorry to vent....just drained from the crying and no naptime. The good news...just 3 more weeks and I'm closed for the summer (& transitions begin again...arrgghh). I am hopeful by September he will be walking and that always helps them become a little more independent.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    I feel for you...transitions can be challenging. Some kids just blend in while others come around on their own time no matter how much time/effort you put in.

I do find it strange that he is like that at home too though...have they ruled out medical issues? It's one thing to cry all day in a new environment but if it happens at home too then that kinda raises a red flag for me. Unless he is just being coddled to death?

Luckily you are closing soon anyways....yay! Like you said hopefully by September he will have matured a little and be easier.

Euphoric !
    That's rough! I would get the parents to investigate dietary/medical issues as well. Since one of the parents will be with him over the summer they can start tracking his diet. At 1 yrs old, I wonder why he struggles so much at home as well.