Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arrrggg !!

Starting to feel at home...

Arrrggg !!

Is it just me or does anyone else get upset when parents show up late for interviews and then give you attitude when you remind what time the appointment was for?? really lol

oh and why the heck do I get sooooooooooooooooooo nervous for interviewing Im talking like sweating waiting for people to come nervous

Euphoric !
    How late? A few mins, no big deal. Over 30 mins, forget it. If they didn't call to let me know, forget it. This not a drop in clinic.

Expansive...
    Things happen- if it is a few minutes late- I wouldn't sweat it, but if it is significantly late (and they did not have a really good excuse or give me notice) then I would be upset and say something.

Outgoing
    I once made an appointment to meet the mom at 11am. She wanted to see the daycare in action. (I don't do this anymore) She doesn't show up or call. Then she comes at 1:30pm. And she acts all surprised that I'm confused and miffed (to be polite) that she's way late. Anyway, I was really wanting to fill the space right away so I ended up signing a contract with her, did all the paperwork (an there is a lot!) And then I never saw or heard from her again. I tried calling but her voicemail box was full and when I could get through, she didn't return my calls. - You live and learn I guess.

Expansive...
    sometimes it helps to call to see if they got lost along the way or if they just forgot about it
    then there are others like Kindertime said and that type we hope to avoid

Euphoric !
    I tend to shoot off an e-mail to them the day before as reminder. "Just touching base to make sure we are still meeting tomorrow at 2pm. Please let me know if something has come up and you need to reschedule."

Starting to feel at home...
    that is awful!!! How can they do that it's so rude not to mention they waste their own time...good grief! The family ended up showing up BUT they were late and I had three interviews yesterday back to back so they cut into their own time. I sign a family on today and I have another out of the three who is interested but they wanted too see the daycare in action. I am not comfortable with so I just wanted to know if anyone else allows this or not?

I did have a mom complain once that she wouldn't feel comfortable if I allowed strangers in the daycare since she didn't know them and wasn't comfortable, which I totally understand.
    Last edited by TinyTwigs; 06-11-2015 at 09:31 AM.

I allow new interested families to see daycare in action. But only in the am for 30-60mins tops during free play or outside. I always try for outside park trip. They just want to see how you are with the kids and how the kids react with you. I do not consider other fellow moms as strangers. This is always a second meeting however. The first interview is never during daycare hrs.
    Last edited by babydom; 06-11-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Euphoric !
    For security reasons I never do daycare interviews during daycare hours .... I refuse to being strangers around my daycare kids and all my parents appreciate that

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTwigs View Post
    that is awful!!! How can they do that it's so rude not to mention they waste their own time...good grief! The family ended up showing up BUT they were late and I had three interviews yesterday back to back so they cut into their own time. I sign a family on today and I have another out of the three who is interested but they wanted too see the daycare in action. I am not comfortable with so I just wanted to know if anyone else allows this or not?

I did have a mom complain once that she wouldn't feel comfortable if I allowed strangers in the daycare since she didn't know them and wasn't comfortable, which I totally understand.
    Just explain it in a way that is reassuring. Mention you prefer not to invite strangers in while you are working with the children and that you need to be focussed on the children not on a perspective family. Note that you recognize that they want to see you in action with their children and offer up another opportunity for their child to come and play with you for 20-30minutes where you can focus on interacting with their child.

Every provider has their own way of doing this...some are quite comfortable having families in to watch for 30-60mintues others are not. Just spin your preference to their benefit. Personally I find that the children do not act the same when extra adults are in the room and having the parents come to watch you isn't really that useful as it doesn't reflect your normal day. If the parent isn't comfortable with that then unfortunately they will have to go elsewhere. In these situations either the parent isn't comfortable or you are not comfortable. It is your business so there is no reason you need to be placed outside your comfort zone for their benefit. It just sets the tone that you will bend your preferences for them in the future.