Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Does anyone else find this odd?

I grew up watching Sesame Street, Mr DressUp etc. Today we did a colouring activity that was on paper with Sesame Street Characters on it. The 4 year old I have in care had no idea who the characters were. Maybe it is just me.
    Last edited by jodaycare; 06-12-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I find it more "sad" that two year olds that I have watch octonauts and bubbleguppies everyday at home? Especially when they are only home for 3-4 before bedtime. I am also disappionted when I see year olds at my kids sports games sitting watching these shows on a tablet, instead of running and playing......at least sesame street was educational!

Outgoing
    I agree. I guess times have really changed. ��

Euphoric !
    I find it sad that young children know so many TV characters, period. I don't find it sad that someone doesn't recognize a TV character. I think it's great. I don't have a TV, never had one, through choice. Of my 4 sons all grown and left home, only 2 do but they use it for games and sporting event. I find it sad when go into people homes and TV in every room like it constant on. Why would need a TV in kitchen? Why need TV in bedroom? Make no sense.

Outgoing
    Guess I am too old then, cause I see nothing wrong with watching a little bit of educational TV once in while. What I disagree with is children always having to be on the go and not knowing how to sit quietly for more than a second or two. I have been caring for children for 34 years and i find that children are having more and more problems with sitting and doing anything, they are constantly moving. I find it exhausting. When my daughter was little, i taught her to entertain herself and she knew how to sit and colour, or read a book or yes(god forbid) watch sesame street for an hour.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

Lou

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I grew up watching TV....Saturday morning cartoons (The Smurfs!!), but I also played outside a lot. I grew up OK, at least I think so! lol I think it's all about balance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    You choosing to read between lines of statement. I see nothing wrong with kids watching little bit of TV. I not say I did. I say I find it sad they know so many TV characters.

Likewise I find sad that they overscheduled. I just not understand when it quiet time why many automatically click on square screen for endless hours and are so dependant on it that they require one in every room.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I did too FSD! LOL! I also played outside every day. And you are right, balance is key. I guess I just thought that all kids knew who Big Bird was? Guess I was wrong. Haha

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post:

FSD, Lou

Euphoric !
    Frankly...the 'new' sesame street shows kinda suck so my daughter won't know it growing up!

Does this 4yr old watch other tv? Was he just not recognizing them because he watches no tv, or watches other tv. We watch tv here...though not that much but I limit it to the leapfrog shows and mother goose club these days. At least then my 2 yr old is running around repeating nursery rhymes and talking about colours and shapes and not just listing names of tv characters. In the end it is still tv but I prefer she is off singing nursery rhymes afterwards, that she has memorized than just listing tv characters - which is what my 2.5yr old DCG does.

The other day my just over 2yr old daughter got a dora sticker at her nursery school. She was walking down the hall saying "girl sticker" all proud of it. Pretty much all the other kids were proud of their "dora stickers". I would much rather she just continues seeing it as a girl sticker and has no clue who dora is lol.

We all grew up (ok most of us) watching the classic tv shows like sesame street...but we also grew up running the neighborhood being active and free to play. There was indeed a good balance back then. Now it really is different.

Outgoing
    I could go on...and on...and on...

I had a parent actually say to me, when asked if the child watches Sesame Street.

"No, she doesn't because there's nothing on right after it that she would want to watch." (She mean on the same channel.)

So basically, she meant that PBS has only 1 hour of kids tv and so it wasn't worth her changing the channel from Treehouse or Disney, or whatever kids channels there are now. (I haven't have satalite or cable for 10yrs, so I don't know.)

Oh, and btw, this same child at the same time knew who Peter Griffin is. (You know, from The Family Guy.) DCG was 3.

The answer is yes, I find it sad.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sesam...eschool-2015-6