Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar

Two Weeks Notice

I have a question for you experts. Since I've opened, I haven't had to deal with any kids leaving until now. I just got notice that one of my dck will be leaving to go to a preschool, and they gave their 2 weeks notice (last day will be June 26th). When they signed on with me, they gave me 2 weeks deposit to cover for the last 2 weeks of care. But they are, as of now, paid up until the 19th of June (pay was last Friday for the following 2 weeks). My question, do I now owe them a week's pay? Apparently they've known he was leaving when they paid last week, but decided to wait until today to tell me, so this seems to have kinda screwed things up. This also comes at a horrible time since my hubby has been out of work and we SERIOUSLY do not have the money for me to pay her! Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You'll owe her for any unused days. The deposit is meant to cover the final 2 weeks of care...since they pay ahead of care then that money is not yours. Technically, it wasn't yours to spend when they gave it to you...it should have been put in a savings account to pay yourself for those final weeks (or in this case to pay yourself one week and return the extra week).

You'll need to find a way to find that money to give them on their last day of care.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, you will owe them a week's pay back. They gave the proper notice and have paid the 2 week deposit to be used towards the last 2 week's of care. It just so happens that they gave notice between pay periods.

FWIW, I ask for a month's notice of withdrawal and upon starting, a one week deposit to be used towards the last month of care. It gives me lots of time (usually!) to fill the space and I still get 3 week's of pay from them so I'm not totally blindsided financially.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

FSD

Expansive...
    As already said, the deposit is used to cover the last 2 weeks of care. When a family gives notice you either pay yourself from the deposit if you have saved it or work for free if you have already spent it!

A little blurb in your contract saying the deposit is not refundable would save you from being in this position again. If a family gives less than 2 weeks notice they forfeit the remainder of the deposit.

In your current situation, you will have to pay them back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

FSD

Euphoric !
    Yes, you will owe her. If she paid up to 19th July and you had two weeks deposit from them, then when she leave on 26th, she only had one week fees attributed to notice period. You will owe her one week fees back.

It never come a good time but she followed your policies so she owed that money on final day of care, not later. Your financial situation not her issue just like if she had been laid off, it would not be your issue if she was struggling to pay fees.

I take two week deposit too for notice period but I require 4 weeks notice for this very reason.

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    Thanks ladies! I knew that I would probably have to pay her for the one week, but was hoping for a weird loop hole! Sigh..... I have also taken into account all your suggestions regarding notice and have already made the changes to my contract. Live and learn I guess.....

Euphoric !
    I always use my deposit towards their first 2 weeks of care that way I never have to worry about keeping the deposit for later use. I also require 3 weeks notice when someone is leaving. 2 weeks is never enough.

On a side note - it really bugs me when people know they are leaving and leave it to the last minute and blindside me. I actually put it in my contract that I ask for people to communicate with me their future plans so that I can maintain a proper waiting list. I had a mom once pick up her daughter at 5 on Friday (she had paid me for the next 2 weeks that morning) and tell me her daughter was done and not coming back those 2 weeks. I was so schocked. Now 3 weeks is required and I will likely push it to 4 weeks eventually.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

FSD

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I always use my deposit towards their first 2 weeks of care that way I never have to worry about keeping the deposit for later use. I also require 3 weeks notice when someone is leaving. 2 weeks is never enough.

On a side note - it really bugs me when people know they are leaving and leave it to the last minute and blindside me. I actually put it in my contract that I ask for people to communicate with me their future plans so that I can maintain a proper waiting list. I had a mom once pick up her daughter at 5 on Friday (she had paid me for the next 2 weeks that morning) and tell me her daughter was done and not coming back those 2 weeks. I was so schocked. Now 3 weeks is required and I will likely push it to 4 weeks eventually.

This has to be the "look out for myself so others can't screw me mentality" where they feel if they wait till last minute then the daycare provider can't end care before they are ready for it. It sucks for the kids who don't have time for good byes and all that.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    On a side note - it really bugs me when people know they are leaving and leave it to the last minute and blindside me.
    Dear parents,

If you know you're leaving, please let me know. Even if it's 2 months away. If you give me a firm leaving date, I'll respect it. I will appreciate it. I will know that you have taken me into consideration, even in a small way, when you made your decision. It will prevent the awkwardness that comes from learning about your decision to leave from your child. It will allow me to fill your vacancy with the right family and not the most convenient. And it will give me time to say a proper goodbye to you and your child when the time comes. Thank you.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just wonder if those who would like to know with more notice than the contracted time, have ever given extra notice to employer when leaving. Is it common to give extra notice? When would you/have you done it?