Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Could this be forever???

Hi All,

How many of you providing daycare consider this a long term career? Until retirement? I know a lot of us start in order to be home with our own kids, but how many stay on permanently? Can you see yourself doing this long term? Just curious.

Thanks

Euphoric !
    For me, I have been doing this almost 20 year now. My boys grown and left home now. I am 57. I will continue on for few years yet but maybe have less children.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

My mom is 64 and still does it. Going on 40yrs. She likes being home. Hated working outside of the home. I see myself the same. I love kids and being home. I can't see myself with a job without kids and I would never do a centre again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Well, maybe not forever.... I mean I will win the lottery someday. But until that happens... yup, this is it.

My daycare will be open for 10 yrs in August. By far there have been more good days than bad. I don't know how to do anything else, and I can't actually imagine wanting to. And you can't beat the commute, especially in the winter.

In the area where I am, of the 30 or so licensed home daycare providers, only a handful have closed in my 10 years. And most of them opened after me.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I guess I'm the odd one and am looking at starting another business...my true passion, photography. Although this home daycare business I started up has been great ~ being home with my kids is fantastic, but it's definitely NOT for me long term.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    When I started up I thought I would do it for at least a decade...but within about two years I realized that it wouldn't be the case. I am closing my daycare, with only two weeks to go!

Although there are a few providers on here who have been doing this for a while I think the vast majority, by a long shot, do this short term.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Been in Childcare 9-10 years and have had my hdc 3.5 years. I opened it with the intent to be long term. I can't imagine working out of the home and for someone else again, hopefully won't have too!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    My plan when I started, is to be in it for the long term. I really enjoy a lot of things about this job, and I can't imagine having to go back to my old life. So far it has only been two years, but I don't have an end date in sight.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks everyone. Im hoping stay in for the long haul this time around! I forgot how tiring the hustle bustle was before jumping back into the work force 3 years ago. The hour long drive each way is killing me and my rushed EARLY mornings and nights are just dreadful and is really taking on toll on my kids too!!

Thanks for all your input!

I've done this for 10 years. I close in 6 weeks to go and do my degree. I had always wanted to go to school, but never had set an end date in mind for this career given that providing for my family would come first over what I wanted. I think it is a great career to be in for many reasons, especially if you have your own children at home with you. With the changes that are coming with Bill 10, this makes it more tricky and an obstacle for those looking to expand their brood, so I do see more people looking for alternative work. Pros and Cons whichever way you look. Working M-F out of the home would be tough, but I remember when my son was home at age 3, I couldn't give him as much time as I'd hoped for because there were 5 other kids demanding my time and attention. I don't regret devoting 10 years to childcare, but I NEED intellectual stimulation which I just don't get from this work. It is mind numbing sometimes and I need to use my brain more. I did night classes for a while, but that already added to my busy work week and was a necessity rather than a want.

Bonus from working in this field long term will be your wealth of experience as the years pass by which can be very appealing to new parents. Keep things fresh, Change up your program regularly not just for the kids but for you too, and make time for you as an individual beyond "caregiver" outside of the home and if you truly love it, I can't imagine why this couldn't be a long term career choice. I know a lot of providers in Halton well into their late 50's who have only ever done this, and for the most part they are amazing and as dedicated as ever.