Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

After Hour Care for two

So I had a client show up late twice this last week, so I sent them a notice reminding them of my late fees and my hours. They are expecting it to happen again since dc mom's hours have been increased recently. They have asked about my $10/hr late fee, however when I wrote this it was under the assumption there would be one child (just like my rates are based on per child, ie $40/day), however they have two kids with me. I don't want this overtime, but they are good clients, and I don't feel they would take advantage, it would only be on days mom is stuck in traffic (she expects to be stuck more with the coming pan am games). They are willing to pay $10 an hour, but I feel I already work 50 hours a week, and I need that time after work for the appointments I don't schedule while I am working, and I am training for a sprint triathalon, so I need every free moment I have after work. So what do you charge families with two kids? I am not sure I am comfortable with $10 an hr for each kid, but heck the min wage is $11 an hour, so I feel I deserve more for two kids. I don't want to be greedy, but with three of my own kids, doing another part-time job (I teach swimming lessons in my backyard pool), and tri training I feel my time is at a premium.

I would do 15$/hr per child. But if you don't want to do overtime....don't!! You'll end up resenting them or gettin burnt out. Just say sorry this is my closing time and unfortunately I can't work pass it. If mom can't make it they'll have to arrange for someone eles to pick up. Like a grandma, aunt or even a teen babysitter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My rates are per child so if contact offer extended hours at $10 an hour, it would be $10 an per per child, not for both, and only if discussed when joining daycare (for routine extended hours) or if it's convenient if it needed occasionally. But client has to accept that we have life outside work hours like all adult and there be times when extra hours not contracted not going to be available.

But, I agree, you not obligated to extend already long hours for family if you not want to.

My late fee is $1 per min per child. This not negotiable. If the are going to be hour late, and only if it prearranged and convenient, it will cost them $60 an hour per child. They begin one minute after close by MY house clock just as opening door at start of day is by MY house clock. It high as deterrent for being late. It high to discourage people from planning on being late. If someone has longer work hours, than they did when coming to my dayhome, it not option to just pay the extra, they need to find someone else to pick up child on time, or find new carer.

There is lady locally who I know, Her daycare client was expected to be there at 3.15pm. That the arrangement and contract. She got text last week from mom saying she forgot about a meeting and will be there at 6pm!!! It actually 7.10pm before mom's boyfriend pick up child even though provider texting and calling. Boyfriend all fresh from shower with non-work clothes on. Provider had to cancel supper plans in town with her family.

Sometime it not convenient to work extra time and client has to understand that close of business means end of day. They not our employers. Later care should not be presumed or expected. You must manage client expectations and be firm if you not wanting this extra time.

Local shop or grocery store would not stay open extra time because client work hours changed at bit. If you do this once, they will expect this option in future so be careful what you decide and be very clear about constraints of it if you do it.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 06-20-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I think she might be taking advantage of you so please be careful. I just opened my daycare so I don't have much experience but from what I have been told the nicest people who might consider you a friend are the ones who try to take advantage (in many cases not all!)

First, you need to decided if you want to do extended care. If you don't let them know this is something you cannot accommodate since you have a life of your own. Let them know moving forward if they are late it's a $1/min. I also do a 3 strikes and your out type of thing if families who are late. I understand that things sometimes happen but by the third time it turns into a habit and they are probably taking advantage.

The biggest advice I can give you that I have been told is to charge $1/min!!!! The only people who will have an issue with this are people who plan on being late. The idea of a high late fee is so that no one is late. $10 dollars an hour it nothing to people who make dinner dates or like suzie said above want to shower and get cleaned up before pick up. $30 for three hours is less then I think they would pay a teenager to come to their home to watch their kids for a few hours

If you wish to do extended care find a number that is worth your time. You are an experienced professional with years of experience and I am pretty sure they wouldn't except addition work hours for 10 bucks an hour. I personally would charge 20 dollars per hour per child. This is your time that is being taken away from other things like your children so YOU pick an hourly take that's good for you not them, if it doesn't work for then it's their responsibility to find alternative care not yours.

good luck

Euphoric !
    If you do decide to do this, $10 per hour per child!!!

If you feel you don't want to do it or that you may come to resent it, don't do it!!

I'd also explain that the late fee is meant as a deterrent not that it's acceptable to plan to be late and just pay the fee

Expansive...
    I would say at least $10 per hour for each child up to the Pm games but if it continues you could put it up to $15 or $20 an hour for each child as you have a life outside of work and you need to go train