Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Mother's guilt ahead of a big life change

As many of you will already know, I am headed to University to do my degree this coming September. I've done this job for just shy of 10 years and going to school has been a long time coming.

My own kids are 12 1/2 and 14 and are very supportive of this change and also understand that we will all have to make some lifestyle changes in terms of how we spend money.

Well, my daughters grade 8 graduation was on Friday and wow what an amazing experience given that this doesn't happen in the UK. However, when my daughter didn't get honours, my eyes started to fill up and emotions start to boil. It's not that she is somehow not good enough because she didn't get honours, but it did highlight the fact that I could not pay for her to get extra help at any time that she may need it through school. She had asked a few months ago to go back to Oxford Learning. She has an average of about 76 and she wanted to get some extra help so she could get better grades. That was not a seed I planted, but she obviously aspired to be on the honour role and had set herself a goal and realized that in some areas she needed to get some help.

I'm feeling very guilty that I didn't sign her up as a result of saving for a final trip overseas that we booked over a year ago to see family prior to me losing my income, and also paying everything off so we can live on one income. She'll survive and she didn't shed a tear at least to my knowledge about not getting that 80. I have made sure to reinforce to her that it's a number and she really should just try her best and that is good enough. In reality that is fine in elementary school, in high school and applying to college and university it absolutely is not should she decide to apply for a competitive program. I hate the thought that by putting myself first in my new venture that it could come at a hefty cost to my kids. There is no spare money to pay for extra help for her should she need it and I can not work extra hours in a part time job because it will cost me my grades which are also important to keep up so I don't have to pay for grad school.

I have never put myself first, it is a foreign concept. I have always self sacrificed for my family and others. I don't want to quit school and continue working to pay for the tutor because it sends the wrong message to my kids about quitting regardless of how worthy the cause is. My husband already works 55 hours a week and that is already a struggle for him to get those hours and the more he is away from home, the less time I will have to study because I'll continue to essentially be the sole caregiver for my kids.

I'm going to enquire at Oxford Learning today and just see how much it costs for a couple of sessions a week, but I don't want to over commit and have to pull her out. I worry all the time that I am sending the wrong messages to my kids and setting a bad example. I know I am trying my best and making the best of a succession of bad choices, but it doesn't rid the guilt. I can not risk getting depressed while I'm a student because I'm not able to give my kids what they need. It's not a case of want versus need, education is important and I want to help my kids get ahead as much as possible. Fortunately my son has an IEP and gets extra help through the board, but my daughter does not.

I guess I'm just having a moan and groan, but last night I hid in my basement for 25 minutes with the washer on to drown out my sobbing. I feel tremendous amounts of guilt and honestly feel like juggling parenting with being a student and barely making ends meet is a really stupid decision now. I know we will manage, but at what expense. My husband is working lots to be able to support us and when he is home, he isn't able to help the kids with anything at all, unless its some kind of mechanical building project for science. He has significant educational special needs and can hardly read as it is. I imagine he has a processing style similar to my son, although they do not seem to be able to work together with it because even the kids recognize that dad knows less than them. It's worse than being a single parent in some ways having someone there but not being able to rely on them to share the responsibilities.

I am a problem solver, but I am also seeing very clearly that doing a university degree is a huge feat and not something to be taken lightly on top of being moms taxi, housekeeper, homework helper, part time worker and wife. I know some of this angst is nerves, but when its a big thing like not being able to help my kids get better grades, it's killing me inside to not be able to give them what they need and not have any means to change that. All as a result of my choosing to give up a perfectly good job to persue my dreams. I feel selfish when doing something to make me happy will result in these issues and no doubt more.

Euphoric !
    One of my biggest wants is that when we have a family, I want to be able to have the money for things we will need AND want. Of course we won't be spending money on everything but if I say no to something I want it to be because of our parenting style and NOT because we can't afford it. I can understand your guilt!!

Can she set up a study group with friends and they can help each other out? Growing up, we didn't have tutors or anywhere local to go but if we were having troubles with a course we would ask students who excelled in that area to help out. Also, our teachers were always willing to help over lunch hour and for about an hour after school, free of charge. I grew up in a small town though so maybe this isn't feasible for all teachers? What about help online?

Keep in mind that you will be attending school to better yourself AND your family. Soon you will have a degree and a better paying job which will benefit all of you!!

Speaking of jobs...can she get a job to help pay for her tutoring help?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    One of my biggest wants is that when we have a family, I want to be able to have the money for things we will need AND want. Of course we won't be spending money on everything but if I say no to something I want it to be because of our parenting style and NOT because we can't afford it. I can understand your guilt!!

Can she set up a study group with friends and they can help each other out? Growing up, we didn't have tutors or anywhere local to go but if we were having troubles with a course we would ask students who excelled in that area to help out. Also, our teachers were always willing to help over lunch hour and for about an hour after school, free of charge. I grew up in a small town though so maybe this isn't feasible for all teachers? What about help online?

Keep in mind that you will be attending school to better yourself AND your family. Soon you will have a degree and a better paying job which will benefit all of you!!

Speaking of jobs...can she get a job to help pay for her tutoring help?
    I'm hoping at High School three will be opportunities to get extra help with peers and teachers. Elementary had extra help French but she said it was a waste of time and no help. She wants to join the creative writing club, so hopefully that will help her with her English and provide her with opportunities to meet students who can help her.

When I have a better paying job, the kids probably wont even be home so sometimes I wish I could have held off longer till they had finished school but it was a tough decision. Part of me wants to drop the schooling and stay working now, but I don't want to show my kids that quitting things when its hard is a good choice. They know how much I want this and also don't want them to feel any kind of responsibility for me choosing to post pone it once again for them. They are older and interpret a lot in ways we don't think.

She has a paper route already that she shares with her brother. They make about 30-40 a month each. Oxford learning is 45 an hour and the recommend 3 per week in high school, rarely 2. I also don't want her to give all her spending money to this if she has no other source of cash because we wont be giving it to her. I don't want her to eventually ditch Oxford Learning because of using every last penny on it. She cant get a better job in Ontario until 15. She does get babysitting jobs sometimes but again, all her wants for the next few years have to come out of her own pocket. I don`t feel guilty about that as that is a great lesson for both of my kids.

The education is a need though and like you said, I too want to only have to say no to something because I choose to not because I`m forced to. I just spoke to Oxford Learning and it will be a minimum of $360 a month for the 2 hours a week. Although, I don`t envision her necessarily needing this extra help forever, just initially going into high school and then maybe later on down the line if she hits any struggles. She is also in the French program and though it is a great program, the English in the curriculum suffers phenomenally.

I`m setting up part time work over the month of July for when I get back from vacation at the end of August so I`ll know more then whether or not it`s doable.

Shy
    Hi Bright Sparks, my son is in high school and I hired a university student to tutor him for $20/hr. There is no minimum hrs required. Also, the high school might be able to provide free tutors as the kids need to earn 40 hrs community service. (at least in Ontario). Maybe she could tutor someone in French in return for tutoring in other subjects.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to teddybear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Hi Bright Sparks, my son is in high school and I hired a university student to tutor him for $20/hr. There is no minimum hrs required. Also, the high school might be able to provide free tutors as the kids need to earn 40 hrs community service. (at least in Ontario). Maybe she could tutor someone in French in return for tutoring in other subjects.
    That is a great idea! I love that...Even if she is able to tutor French for cash to pay for her own tutoring, or at least contribute. I can't imagine any student who excels in academics enough to be able to tutor, requiring any tutoring. Also from speaking with the Oxford learning crew who know my kids and their learning styles, they said it might be more of a case of working on "general" study skills that can be applied across all subject areas and with an emphasis on English as while she is good at English, she is missing some basic comprehension due to the majority of her education being in French. I may very well put an advert up in her French immersion school for French tutoring and that might pay for a university student tutor....although they aren't cheap anymore, more on par with Oxford Learning. I had a math tutor for a while who was a university student and it was $30 and hour and subject specific versus study skills. Great ideas though...going to look into that...thank you