Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Euphoric !
    When it comes to someone taking in multiple families then that IMO is more like a daycare and receipts should be provided. But for someone taking a friends kids then it is not the same as what I do. I am sorry Suzie I do not agree with you. Neglect and not claiming income are not even the same thing so not good examples.

So you are telling me you have never ever broke the law??? You don't speed, never parked where you aren't supposed to, never texted while driving, never been over in your numbers even as little as 5 minutes? Do you call the cops on people you know who smoke illegal substances in their down time?

Obviously if there was a clear sign of abuse or neglect I would speak up but for the most part I let people live their lives, make their own mistakes and suffer their own consequences. I am not perfect and don't follow every single law perfectly. So who am I to say which law others need to follow?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have never broken the law. I have never had a ticket because I do not speed. I not text - period, so no, not done that either. I never parked where I should not because not worth the ticket or clamp cost. I not know anyone who smoke drugs other than one person who have medicinal marijuana and the paper work for it. I never stole, I never been arrested. Never driven car without license and insurance. Do not drink so never drive over limit either.

So who am I to say which law others need to follow?
    But that what you did say. You said if neglecting child, you would report. You said if smoking illegal substance, you would not report. You said if someone care for one child from 3 families, you would report. You said if someone care for three children from 1 family, you would not report.

You are saying exactly which law you feel you should pretend not being broken but which law you not ignore.

That not job of citizens. It job of courts, investigators, police.

It very double standard to say you would report certain law breaker and not others. You applying own moral compass to your view of crime. There are people employed to make that decision.

When lines blurred like that, there risk then of not report serious offenses if you have personal connection to law breaker. It slippery slope.

Euphoric !
    I would only report if there was neglect or abuse. Only reason would be because child needs to be protected and cannot report it themselves. I would also make sure I had proof and no go by something I saw at a glance. I never said I would report a parent who took 3 families and didn't claim income. I just said I think it is different from what I do but I would not report.

Wow, well good for you for being such a law abiding citizen. The point I am getting at is if you were to report someone for not claiming income you should be reporting others for the laws they break. You would be constantly reporting people. I have better things to do with my time. The only thing you can control is you. This is where I go back to my original statement where I said too many times others poke their nose in others business.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I would only report if there was neglect or abuse. Only reason would be because child needs to be protected and cannot report it themselves. I would also make sure I had proof and no go by something I saw at a glance. I never said I would report a parent who took 3 families and didn't claim income. I just said I think it is different from what I do but I would not report.

Wow, well good for you for being such a law abiding citizen. The point I am getting at is if you were to report someone for not claiming income you should be reporting others for the laws they break. You would be constantly reporting people. I have better things to do with my time. The only thing you can control is you. This is where I go back to my original statement where I said too many times others poke their nose in others business.
    Thank you!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    What is wrong, is that too many people think the are above the law and the rest of us, pay double for their views.

Three children being looked after is above the level some province allow. So whether it Mom or daycare provider, it is an income equal to an above board provider.

It reason like this home day care have bad name.

Here, a provider just closed down by Community Service. She have 15 children in her care, We allowed 7. But hey, she was just a mom looking after kids trying to earn a buck.

Another provider on mat leave, refused receipts to her clients because she earned more than $50 a week on top of mat pay. She also closed her door Friday, texted client on Saturday and began new job on Monday. But hey, she was just a mom looking after kids trying to earn a buck.

One more - agency approved this time. Caught out the week before March break when parent come early for child. Door unlocked, parent walk in to find own daughter (age 2) trying to put on shoes to go home. Two 3 year olds wondering around house too. Where was carer? Down road, meeting own kids off school bus. Didn't see parent pull up because of snow bank. But hey, she was just a mom looking after kids trying to earn a buck.

Wouldn't want to report anyone for putting kids at risk, for tax fraud, for being deceptive to parent wanting tax credit. No need to anyone to step up when kids at risk. Would not want to be viewed as nosy after all.

Let's all turn blind eye to rapist, murderer, tax dodger, thief, benefit fraud. all, not affect us if these people on streets, artificially inflating costs for the honest folk.
    Suzie_Homemaker..... you have taken something....turned it around and have blown it ...so out of proportion....it's RIDICULOUS! REALLY????? Get a life! It's no wonder some people get off this site....because of people like you....I'm so done with this nonsense.....
    Last edited by sandylynn; 06-25-2015 at 04:02 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I can see both sides actually. I think it will come down to what you and your friend decide but how will you claim childcare costs if she isn't claiming it as income herself?

Typically, we think of babysitting as an evening or weekend job, usually done by a teenager. An adult caring for 3 children during the day is usually classified as a daycare provider or nanny. I do think that daycare providers and nannies SHOULD claim their income and SHOULD follow the rules. However, I can also see why this friend would want to be classified as a babysitter as most babysitters don't claim their income. Are you okay with not getting a receipt for childcare costs for income tax purposes?

It's not such a black and white situation IMO.

Euphoric !
    Atos if you want to ask your friend to look after your children and she agrees to do the favour for you what arrangements you make between you both as to the money that will change hands or the services you will do for her I think are fine. The caution I would give is that often the "illegal" home daycare situations started out just like this - a lady caring for the kids of a neighbour and than another one asked and she felt guilty saying no so took them too and eventually was way over the legal limits. She still didn't consider herself a daycare provider BUT the law does. You still haven't said what the ages are of your children or your friend's children but there are legal laws in the province that they can enforce in terms of fines and penalties. The government isn't as concerned about what one family does with their own children but again if any other child from a second family either a neighbour, friend of one of your neighbour's kids is in the home to play then the neighbour would be subject to the same ratios and fines of a daycare provider. This includes friends over after school, etc. As tempting as it is come tax time you are going to wish you had gotten receipts from the neighbour. And your neighbour is going to wish they had been kept all of their expense lists because it benefits both of you. For you there is nothing you would need to do just pay your friend as agreed to. It is your neighbour that would need to read up on what she can and can not claim against what you are paying her. That means once tax time comes you have a deduction from your taxes and the amount your friend can claim will be about half of what you are paying her and will likely leave her untaxed anyways but also as some mentioned able to contribute to Canada pension as a working person to be claimed when she retires.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    So my kids ages would be 1.5years old for full days, a 5 and 7 year old for before and after school care. The friend of ours has a 2 year old that stays home, a 5 year old and 8 year old. So it would be 6 kids total but seeing that her eldest is above 6, I believe we are under the new limits, correct? Going by the typical rate of 40/day and 20/day(before and after), I think I would willing to pay 35/day and 15/day without receipt. Putting aside all the fraud, illegal. blah blah blah....Not sure if at tax time would benefit me more to pay regular rate with receipt or lower rate without receipt.

Euphoric !
    Age wise then she would be within legal limits provided no other child came to her house while your children are there as she is already at the 5 child maximum. When you look at your tax form the deduction for a child from your taxes would certainly benefit you as it is several thousand dollars per child. You will need your friend to be willing to give you her SIN number along with the receipts as that is what you need to claim by the rules although some have said if the parent just puts down the name and address of the person they have gotten away with it. There is a great booklet that outlines the daycare end of things on the Revenue Canada website called using my home for daycare. If your friend does go that route suggest that she pay the $25 and join the www.ccprn.com to get support, questions answered and to have access to workshops and resources she can use with the children which will benefit her child as well. Local providers would be more than happy to help your friend get started. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned is that she should contact her insurance provider to ask about a ryder on her home and/or auto policy for looking after other people's children. If anything were to happen she would not have insurance to cover the incident without it. Her insurance will consider her a provider if she cares for the children daily in her home.