Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...
    Yay for you, long time coming!

My advice would be to plan for the worse case scenario, since you don't know how your pregnancy is going to go and you don't have employee sick leave to fall back on. It could be a breeze and you'll easily have your daycare open until your planned closing date...or you could be like me and have very painful pregnancies and awful nausea the whole time. I had horrible pelvic pain and could barely walk by the end of both of my pregnancies, it would have been impossible to run a daycare.

So pinch your pennies and have a contingency plan if you end up having to close your daycare earlier than expected.

If you can afford it, I would take the full year off or close to it.

FYI, your doctor can prescribe Diclectin to help with the nausea. Eating protein and staying away from greasy food helps too - even though it tastes so good!

Expansive...
    Congrats 5lm...so happy for you!! Take as much time as you can. I took 18 months off and I felt it was just right. Tight financially but sooooo worth it.

Super happy for you!

Euphoric !
    You already know how absolutely excited I am for you!!!

Excellent advice from everyone!

Ha ha chicken nuggets! That was my craving when I was pregnant! Lol

Take as much time off as you can. My daughter was not a good baby! I barely slept, all she did was cry, I never knew that kind of exhaustion. My husband only took a few days off so I was on my own. It was rough!!! I am glad I took almost my full year off.

I would tell you families in October if you can wait that long. Too many daycares have openings in September so would hate for them to jump ship too early.

Congrats!!!

Euphoric !
    Congratulations.

I agree. Take as much time as you can afford. You never get those days back.

When my first son born, he only 12 week old when I went back work. It was really hard. Physically I was fine but emotionally I was wreck. Hormones funny things. I not have day care then so much anguish about leaving baby with carer when I want to be home for more time.

I would also wait until after September end before telling client. September is horrible time to fill place if people decide to switch early.

Expansive...
    Congrats!!!! I hope you have a good preg, term , the 7 month will fly in sometimes and drag in other times and then you a holding a baby in your arms Good Luck

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes and tips!! Greatly appreciated

I'm still undecided how long I'll take off. I would really like to sign on Teacher's kids when I start back up so that means a September opening date would work best. So that leaves me with a mat leave choice of 6 months or 18 months. If I just take the year that means I start in a Feb and I think it would be hard to sign on teacher's kids than. The time between 12 and 18 months I could start pt with just taking my child's friend so that may work too.

I think I'm going to hold off on telling them until Sept/Oct if I can. I am really hoping the 2nd trimester is better and I will feel more like myself and less lazy...it's driving me crazy!! This year I have been overwhelmed with parents wanting a September start date so if I tell them too early and they leave, I do think I could likely fill the spots but it would be short term obviously. Quality daycare does seem a little scarce around here so some parents may be okay with that anyways as some are incredibly desperate right now and will take whatever I can give them.

Amanda...yup, on diclectin already It's been helping sometimes. I haven't puked much so thats great lol but I do have all day nausea. Fun fun!!

MickyC....I blame you for the chicken nuggets LOL. Ever since you told me about it they've been on my brain. I think I've had them 3x and I think I'm over them now haha. Beef jerky is another thing I've been eating a lot of...ugh!!

Thanks everyone...I also hope for a boring pregnancy!!

PS. I am whiny sucky baby when sick so I am going to apologize in advance for the posts that may come in the future... I feel like I may have a lot of ranting and complaining to do coming up!! haah

Euphoric !
    Teacher children good idea for summer off. But not mean have to wait for Sept only. Teacher come off mat leave all year round. Could maybe target them after 8 month or so, and just have one or two to ease back into day care then Summer off before full numbers come in Sept. Just option to tide over if 18 month off not practical financially.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Teacher children good idea for summer off. But not mean have to wait for Sept only. Teacher come off mat leave all year round. Could maybe target them after 8 month or so, and just have one or two to ease back into day care then Summer off before full numbers come in Sept. Just option to tide over if 18 month off not practical financially.
    Yes that's true! However, my child and my friends child will fill up my infant spaces so my other 2 spots will have to be over 2 years old. IME, teachers look for new daycares with a September start date but you're right, they may need a start date throughout the year too

Euphoric !
    Can't sleep so thought I'd post a few more questions lol

1. What did you do/take for headaches? I suffer from migraines and they've been a bit more common lately. I know I can't take excedrin but can I still use my Japanese mint oil?

2. What did you do for insomnia? I'm having a really hard time since I can't take my sleeping pills anymore. Warm milk and a bath before bed just isn't doing it!

3. What were some of your must haves during pregnancy? (Pillows, lotions, exercises etc )

Euphoric !
    Just a word of warning (and to add to your list of things to avoid) I would recommend you avoid the beef jerky. It fits into the category of processed meats. Listeria is a risk but you also don't want to expose your fetus to all the nitrates in the meat. Its not a big deal and some may disagree with me but if you can give your baby the best start, why not? Even "nitrate free" has nitrates as Market Place exposed the companies that "Celery extract" which is naturally occurring nitrates and actually just as bad for you. I stayed away from lunch meat altogether in pregnancy #1, I have it once in a while this time around. But if beef jerky is something you're craving and having a lot then maybe not a good thing.

Not sure about mint oil. That kind of stuff I would google or ask my Dr. Tylenol is safe during pregnancy though.