Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Very Mean Daycare Parent

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to know how you ladies would deal with rude daycare parents. I have a daycare family who comes part-time (Wednesday-Thursday). They have been with me before I officially opened.

In the past I use to do favours like allowing them to change days and a few times asked to come for full weeks. I know now that I made the mistake of allowing this.

This evening I got a text asking if I would allow them to change their days as they want to go on a vacation. I said no as I have more kids now and can't have an overlap. She then proceeded to ask again and implied vacation days (use a vacation day on the day she wants to go on vavcation and instead of her last day being July 10 it would be the following Friday) even tho that was something I completely got rid of and hand out a newsletter stating vacation days cannot be taken on stat holidays or the last four weeks of care. She damn well knows payment isn't by attendance its to hold a spot.

She then wanted me to allow her to stay past her end date (laid off and isn't interested in working so they cant afford to stay here) I nicely said no because I have a family who comes three days a week on the days you are not here and they are starting full time once you leave. So it isn't fair to me or them if I allow you to stay past your original end date.

The response I got was this exactly....
    WOW FORGET I EVEN ASKED WE JUST WONT BRING HER TO YOU ON THAT DAY!

So I responded by saying I do not appreciate her attitude considering I have done many favours in the past. If she wants flexibility she needs to pay for a full-time spot. I do not allow vacation days and on top of that I increased my rates to $50 a day as of June 1st and allowed her to pay old rates of 45 per day until the finished to be kind.

She responds...
    You don't like my attitude? Excuse me? I was asking a favour that I thought maybe we would be able to work out. I don't appreciate being accused of having attitude when I was merely trying to figure out an alternative day But you don't like my attitude? Ok I will drop my daughter off tomorrow for the day. have a nice night

I was pissed beyond belief at this point and I replied oh and I didn't hold anything back so I responded...."Forget I even asked then" and "wow" is that not rude? If you want flexability you need to pay for a full time spot. You are being extremely rude and disrespectful so when you drop off you are not welcomed into my home we will exchange at the door. I already did you a favour by letting you come on a different day last week. You don't get your way so you throw a fit. Grow up and my assistant will be here for training tomorrow so I expect a drama free morning.

I got no reply surprise surprise! I don't know if im missing something but im not going over my numbers and putting myself at risk or risking prison (like suzie said its a good thing my husband is a lawyer lol) so you can have a fun time at the cottage!!

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
    Last edited by TinyTwigs; 06-25-2015 at 10:53 PM.

If she would be willing to pay for the whole time that her family is on vacation I would willingly let her but not for nothing.

Good luck hope i helped a little...

Euphoric !
    When you filled the other days of the week did you let this family know that from now on you would not be able to allow her to switch days due to the fact there were no longer open days. It almost sounds like this is the first the daycare parent is hearing that she can't switch and is doubting you thinking you are doing it just to get money for days they aren't using. Show her your schedule of kids in care to show that there are no longer any open days reminding her that she had the option to take the space full time to reserve the days but chose to only sign up for some of the days and that left you having to find someone interested in the other days and now that you have she is confined to only the days she selected. Rather than get into a back and forth arguing/blaming game your schedule and the rules of how many kids can be in care on any given day is the end of the story.

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh she knew! She is just one of those "divas" that if its not her way its no way and type of attitude she can take somewhere else. I have done favours in the past where they needed extra days and bc I didn't have my spaces filled I had flexibility. She didn't think I filled as quick as I did and tried to nickel and dime me by checking to see if I would extended her last day so she can come that day bc she has to go to the cottage and would miss a day. Payment is by enrollment so why she thinks I would switch a day for her I bc she didn't want to pay for being her is so confusing to me.

2 weeks ago she asked for if she could switch a day and I let her bc no one new started and that weekend I tried explaining to her I only have one part-time spot left (mon-thurs) so if she wants it let me know otherwise I will start looking else where. The reason I asked her is bc she wanted me to cancel with another family so she can have a spot even thought she gave me a 4 week notice. She gave me so much attitude bc she thought I told her she had to come on those day and she was "i don't want those days blah blah we agreed on my days". I told her to calm down that's not what I ment what I ment was she keeps her days as to what we agreed on but if she wants to come back I will only have that opening. She also told me she doesn't want to pay a deposit and she has a good feeling I will let her come back so shes not worried about the spot being take????!!!!

She ended up not showing up even though she knows she is the first one here and didn't bother to tell me. She demanded I have her childs things ready as her husband is coming to pick it up. I told her if any attempts to come to my home during daycare hours the police will be called bc there is no way I am putting them at risk to her dramatic behaviour. Her reply was "threatening me now? Classy eh". We agreed on a time after hours and an hour late I got a text "My husband is coming to pick up the blanket today he is not making any special trips, give it to management and he can pick it up from them". I told her I am not leaving the children alone in a apartment so I can go hand her blanket over to management, just bc it isn't convenient for her that's not my problem and if that time we agreed on doesn't work we can find an alternate time. No reason lol

If I say no, no means no! I don't need to explain myself to anyone. Even if I wasn't full and I didn't want to switch days I don't have to. She doesn't pay for flexibility she pays for 2 days a weeks and gave me shit last week bc she thought I was asking her to switch then the follow week she asks to switch. No way