Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Rude Parent Picking & Choosing Time

I have a dcp who I got into an argument with yesterday bc god forbid I said no to her for her switching days. This family has their set hours and the still come late and pick up later then what we agreed on the schedule. I tell everyone just bc I am opened for a certain amount of time doesn't mean you are allowed to stay hear past the hours agreed on the contract. I do this bc that way when I transition new kids if needed to transition b3fore new family leaves I know I wont have an overlap in certain parts of my day so I know what hours I can take someone in. Well she is the first to come in the morning and I have to wake up early just for her and shs already late and I know shes doing this to be a pain in my ass as she will show up when she wants. I woke up early to be ready for this family and this women is just planning on waltzing in here whenever she wants. This women is taking advantage and totally abusing the situation what should I do?
    Last edited by TinyTwigs; 06-26-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Euphoric !
    If this has been an ongoing issue, despite the fact that you've already spoken to her about it, then I'd probably look at terminating the contract. There is a clear lack of respect for your business and a disregard for your policies.

As an alternative, you could implement a financial penalty for late pick ups, effective immediately. Put it in a letter and send it out. My fees for lateness are $2/minute for the first 10 minutes, $3/minute for the second 10 minutes, so on and so on. I've never actually made anyone pay it, but boy, did it ever straighten out my one problem family quickly. I've not needed to implement it since

If you continue to allow this family to carry on this way, I don't see it getting better any time soon. Me....I'm well established and could fill the spot, so I'd probably see them on their way. But if you're new to the business, it can be a bit harder. Perhaps try the late fees. Then if that doesn't work, let them go. What does your contract say about their hours?

She actually didn't show up! She got mad bc I said she couldn't switch her days. She wants part-time but from time to time she wants to switch her days. I allowed it b4 bc I didn't have 5 kids but now I have know one who comes mid week. I threw a fit for me not allowing her to switch bc she wanted an extra day at the cottage and didn't want to pay for the day she wasn't here even tho she knows payment is by enrollment not attendance. It fascinates me how these grown adult throw fits bc you say no!

Euphoric !
    Yeah...she sounds like a difficult client. I'd be inclined to advertise and secure a new client, then let her go.

Euphoric !
    I set contract up so it states :

"Your child is registered for care on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday.(I delete the days which are not contracted) beginning Monday June 29th, 2015.

Fees are due for each day registered as that day has been reserved for your child to use. Fees are due regardless of attendance. Care is not available for non-contracted days unless I have an available place and it agreed to a min. of 48 hours in advance. There is no ability to switch days for PT clients as other children will be contracted for days you have not reserved for you child.

Core business hours are from 7.30am until 4.30pm but you have contracted for care from 8am until 4.15pm. Care is not available to you outside of your contracted hours. Late collection of you child will result in the late fees applying from 4.16pm onwards. Late collection after my 4.30pm when my business is closed for the day, will double the late fee from 4.31pm. Lateness will not be tolerated unless it is caused by an unscheduled situation beyond your control such as inclement weather, traffic accident, car troubles which began on the way to collect your child. Lateness due to you agreeing to work late, grocery shopping, date night, will result in immediate termination, with 4 weeks fees due in lieu of the notice period. If you need to work late, attend an after hours meeting, or any other event which will cause more than a few mins delay, you need to organise alternate care to cover that. Late fees are due, in cash, when you collect your child."

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTwigs View Post
    She actually didn't show up! She got mad bc I said she couldn't switch her days. She wants part-time but from time to time she wants to switch her days. I allowed it b4 bc I didn't have 5 kids but now I have know one who comes mid week. I threw a fit for me not allowing her to switch bc she wanted an extra day at the cottage and didn't want to pay for the day she wasn't here even tho she knows payment is by enrollment not attendance. It fascinates me how these grown adult throw fits bc you say no!
    The more I work with children the more I realize that many adults out there act like toddlers to get their way. Same tactics, tantrums, name calling, pouting, ignoring just looks a bit different from an adult. Can't help but wonder if they just always got their way as children with these behaviors and therefore keep doing it as adults.

Headshake.

ugh I know!! She actually terminated herself bc I was unreasonable for not letting her switch her days lol it was disappointing and she will not be referring me to other clients!

This is how I know she is crazy. She threw a tantrum bc I would not let her come on another or day or extend her last week so she could get another day out of me. She paid me up until the July 10th last day) so she had six days left. She would have paid for one Friday that she wouldn't have been here bc I said no to her she left even though she already paid ahead??? She just for fitted her 5 more days lost money meanwhile she could have continued coming for the remainder?? Am I missing something lol

I sent her a text at 7:45 (she is suppose to be here by 7:30). She told me is isn't coming but last night told me she was dropping her off. The thing that really gets me is the fact that she threw a shit fit bc I told she can not switch her days just bc she wants to go to the cottage on Thursday instead of Friday and if she doesn't show up to bad you have to pay for it. I'm not dealing with that kind of crap I'm too old and that is something new that I discovered the parental temper tantrums when we say no, ignore, not replying, wasting my time no way good bye and good luck to her!
    Last edited by TinyTwigs; 06-26-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Outgoing
    90% of the time... not a problem with the children...ALWAYS the parents....I COULD WRITE A BOOK!!!! And believe me....it would be a #1 seller!!!! I had a parent come in on a Friday morning.. (pay day)!! and ask me "how much do we pay you?"....I looked at her and said.."how much do you pay me?"....how much money do you have in your hand...."....she says the amount and I looked at her (couldn't help this)...and said...."soooooo.... it's the same amount you have been paying me for ...how long? TWO AND A HALF YEARS!!!!....she was like..."I don't know why I thought it was $10.00 less than that"....again I just looked at her and said..."REALLY"?.... ARE YOU ACTUALLY TRYING TO NICKLE AND DIME THE PERSON WHO TAKES CARE OF THE MOST PRECIOUS PERSON IN YOUR LIFE"...YOU KNOW HOW MUCH YOU PAY ME...."IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET A LOWER RATE....HELL....JUST ASK....NOT THAT I WILL GIVE YOU ONE...BUT WHAT YOU JUST DID HERE THIS MORNING....QUITE FRANKLY ....JUST MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT" ....AND DON'T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE...."how much do we pay you....PLEASE!.....S he just glared at my after my comments....

You have it right Tiny Twigs....too old for this CRAP....my hubby thinks I am rude to her...'RUDE TO HER""????? He says..."well....you didn't really have to say what you said....and in the tone you used"....UMMM....REA LLY....SHE COMES IN AND INSULTS MY INTELLIGENCE TO THE CORE AND I AM SUPPOSED TO BE "HOW" TO HER....? YA.....NOOOOOO
    Last edited by sandylynn; 06-26-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Euphoric !
    I had one family who only came 3 days a week. They were always switching days. Drove me nuts. I changed my contract so that once I received their schedule they were required to pay for those days. Any different days the came were counted as additional days and came at an additional fee. Stopped it immediately.

Hi,

I understand you Tiny twigs completely! I remedied that situation by Having a latest drop off time after unless a dire emergency they cannot come that day which is still being paid for. AS i explain diplomatically and firmly that it is in the interest of both the other children and my schedule that we adhere to times agree upon. My childcare is not a drop off service but a child care where children are our focus.

Good luck