Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contract Hours

Starting to feel at home...

Contract Hours

I was just wondering what everyone does for contract hours?

I have been having a problem with parents picking up whenever they feel like and not even telling me if they are going to be late or early. I tell parents to let me know when they are picking up in the afternoon as I like to have the kids ready and out the door. But my issue is I have an assistant that is going to be starting in 2 weeks. I have no idea how to give her hours when parents come and go as they please. If I schedule her until 4:30 and the parents do a late pick up until 5:30 or 6 I may need her longer but if parents pick up early then I won't need her for the later scheduled time. Another thing is when they tell you they need you at 6:30 so I am up and ready and I get a text at 7:30 they are running late because we slept in. I feel that is rude!

If I am open from 6 to 6 is it fair to charge families a fee if they come outside of their contract hours? If so what fee?

I attempted this once and a mom told me I was all about money for doing this and another told it was ridiculous that if she wanted to come early or later I shouldn't charge her. So I am not sure if this is fair or not because I see both side.

Ps I have a family who could talk and talk and talk how do you politely excuse yourself from a conversation. I have one specially who is the last to pick and she talks for a half and hour and uses my washroom every time (well almost!)! lol

First of all, for every daycare family there is a contract that has their specific hours needed on it and is signed by the parents before they start. So it doesn't matter if my hours are 7 to 5:30. Each family has specific hours that they need and if they exceed them, they are charged extra.
    If you give them, say 7am to 6pm, as the hours that you are open, then they will just keep the kids with you regardless if they have already been home from work for an hour or two.

I also have it that if they don't show up when they are supposed to and I have places to go, such as the school pick up or drop off, we leave with or without them. It's not my problem that they can't get out the door on time. If they call before we leave, I can let them know to meet us wherever we are, but I don't sit around and wait for people who can't get here on time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Thanks you mattsmom!

I have a family who comes between 8:30-10:30 lol so should I have a conversation about doing proper drop offs? Also what do you say when parents say its unfair to pick up/drop different times if your are open regardless?

I do things differently. I know it's nice to have a lighter load in the afternoon if some leave earlier. But my families pay for their days. The daily rate is the same regardless if one family uses 715-330 or another one uses 730-5. My late fees do not start till I'm closed at 5. They paid for the day so they can use all of it, some of it or whichever. Yes it's sooooo annoying knowing a parent is home at 3 but picks up at 5, I'm always like do u love your child. Lol. But they paid for the day they aren't paying by the hr. I'm a mom and probably do the same. Enjoy a break while I know my kid is happy playing. That all being said I do not allow to drop off when ever. We have bus runs, play dates, library story times and playgroups. We are very busy and I do not wait for anyone making us late or miss a playgroup because it got full. I require everyone to be here by 830 the latest. If not I go on with my day and they text me and meet me wherever I am. But I usually just allow that a couple times before I say it's a bit disruptive when ur child comes whenever u want and say by 830 the latest or I terminate. That's just how I run things. I know a lot of caregivers start charging late fees pass their pick up time not closing time. It annoys me to no end but the way I see it is they pay for the day like a centre they are not paying for their hours.

As for your ps. That also annoys me. Chatty moms. Lol. I usually allow a few minutes and then say nicely sorry I'll have to let u go. I got to get ready as I'm going out tonight. Or I've got to go clean up from the day and relax. Usually after a few times they get the hint

Thank you babybom! I see it that way too but I have an issue with giving the assistant hours when people treat it like a walk in center so I have no idea but I do in order to make sure I have coverage when she is here arggh and yes I wonder that too! I have a family who works until 12 on Friday and bc I told them they can't pay half the fee the full daily rate applies they leave her here until 5

yeah she getting theirs money's worth. Haha. For your assistant I would hire her to 5 or 6 whenever you close but tell her that some days some or most kids will leave early and therefor you can too. But your paid hrly so your pay will reflect when the day ends early. Or pay her a daily flat rate. So she gets the rate regardless how many hrs she works during the day. I've done that before and it worked great. Every day she planed to be here till 5 but most days she left early at 4. I saved money and she was happy to have an early day.

Shy
    My daycare has been open 6 years and parents still come and go as they please. Drop offs are pretty consistent, but pick ups are usually all over the place. I'm guessing since they pick them up when they feel like it. I have a flat rate and parents are allowed to have their kids here as long as they want, however, I have begun to shorten my hours of operation. I really get sick of waiting around, but if I shorten my day I'm waiting around less. I've tried getting parents to stick to certain hours and they just get mad and never did stick to the hours. 12 hours is a long day, I'm open from 7:30 to 5:15 and plan on closing at 5 soon. I've always been full too with those hours. I'm wondering how that parent sleeps in for an hour? Is she only dropping her kid off at 6 cuz you open at 6 or does she start work at 6:30? I've had many parents drop their kids off and go back home to get ready. That's not the reason I open early and am debating opening at 7:45 one day. Alot of my kids are not here til after 8 anyways. As for the parent who talks too much, I wouldn't engage in the conversation much and would give short answers. If she still doesn't get the hint, just say you have to leave and be somewhere (I've used that excuse many times lol).

Euphoric !
    I have random drop off pick up parents too. It is annoying but I don't stress. We carry on with our day regardless. If they miss out on something too bad.

That being said I am not open 12 hours either. I would have your daily rate apply to 9 hours of care (8 hour work day plus 30 min before/after work for travel time). Any hours after that should be an additional fee per hour (or portion thereof).

I was up this morning at 6:30 to be ready for 7:30. 1 family on holidays. Got a text at 7 from other family that they were staying home today. Now have to wait until other 2 random families show up! Could be anytime from 8-11 grrrrrr. I got some housework done I guess but I certainly would have liked to sleep in. Other annoying thing is I have holidays starting tomorrow and these 2 kids coming today both have parents who are currently not working at home. How much do you bet I still work until almost 5!!! I might even ask if they can pick up earlier if they get a chance today. We'll see.

Euphoric !
    I don't have contract hours but can see the benefits to them. If I was open 10-12 hours than I would seriously think about implementing them. Random drop off's drive me crazy...I am not a drop in centre! I prefer to do the "fun" things when all the children are here and if I have to wait for an hour past their normal drop off time, it does annoy me! However, I don't feel it's fair to the kids to miss out because their parents think it's a come and go. I ask parents to text me if they will be later or earlier and when they start to slip I just put a reminder in my monthly newsletter. I think it would be fair to introduce contract hours as long as you give adequate notice. I would make the late fee steep if it's something you dont' want happening.

As for your PS. I would say, "xx had a great day today. We did blah blah blah. Hope you have a good evening, I gotta run now. See you in the morning!" and I would try to be outside when they came so I could leave to the house while they go to their car.