Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Please go home!!!

I have a major issue that I just cant seem to make come to an end!

I took everyone's advice on how to get chit chatty parents out at pick up. I tried every single thing that you wonderful ladies suggested and it didn't work.
    I even set an alarm on my phone and was like "ops that's an important call I have to go" they continued talking and wait told me to get the call as she would wait!
    I had one mom lingering around talking for 30 mins!!!!!! I don't mind talking for 5 but come on! The thought of having to talk to someone after a long day makes me for grumpy every morning ! I even tried having all the lights off and I have one parent in particular who has nothing but time bc shes waiting to catch a bus. Being sweet will not work so I need to be firm but how do I do that without sounding mean? Please help

Sorry I know you would love to chat. But I'm tired after our busy day so im going to have to ask you to leave please. I said that once to a parent and even used my hand to gesture her out. It worked. If that still doesn't work then seriously just say it! Sorry I can't talk at the end of the day pass a few mintues as I usually have plans or just want to relax. Open the door and gesture them out!

Or try this....never fails! Have your shoes on and purse in hand. Answer the door with the kid at the door and if you are on your way out, then there is no reason to enter. Lock the door behind you as you explain you are on yor way out, get in your car and drive away. Or...don't be so passive and nice about it. Some people just won't ever get it and need to be told. Let her know you have stuff to do so you can't chat at the door. Open the door and say good bye. If this isn't working it's because you aren't executing it properly. If they keep chatting and stay, it's because you are letting them. Dominate the situation and be done with this.

Another thought....ur in an apartment right? So,you don't have to worry about weather. Get the child ready and wait OUTSIDE the door. Play in the hall the few mins your waiting. U see mom tell child to run to mom. Yell bye, he had a great day today I'll see you tomorrow. Go in lock door. Lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

I live in a Condo so I don't know if that would work for me lol I have opened the door and said goodbye and a few times the don't try to leave they see me standing there and they continue talking to either me or their child which I cant stand either me watching them playing and talking with their kids get out lol omg last time I hinted I had to leave the faces dropped like how dare you

another thing I tried doing is handing the child over at the door but then she lets her daughter rom around in the hallways calling her over to say bye to me while she doesn't care or is she even listening so im waiting about 20 min and I don't say anything bc im worried ill come across as worried but now ive had it lol

Outgoing
    I don't mind the chatty people, I'm that way too, so I have never been in that situation. However, I find that more often than not, when a parent wants to chat, they end up leaving quickly anyway because the kids are acting up and pulling them out the door. Kids are tired at the end of the day and they want to go home too!

I am going to assume your situation is that they are staying past your closing time. Well, her's my solution. Whenever the gov't (in Que) tries to impose a contract on us - for us to use with our DCparents, there are about 100 things I hate about it. However, one thing they always put in it is a late pick up fee that we can charge the parents. They have it written that the child is considered "picked-up" when they leave your house. So, if they arrive on time but chat for 10 minutes past closing, you charge for those 10 minutes. This is how the gov't wrote it.

5.2 A sum of $ _____ per ____ minutes late per child after the time of closure can be claimed by the Provider. The amount is calculated from the closing time, agreed in Article 2.2 of this agreement, until the departure of the Child.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sometime, you have to be direct.

"Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but it's been a long day and I off the clock now. See you tomorrow"

I like that ^^. I might include in mine. I not often have this issue but on rare time I do, it always when I need to leave promptly.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Oh no this rule applies for parents that are the last ones. The ones that pick up while other children are here I have no problem telling them to leave since I have four other children waiting for me. This is for that LAST parent who picks up at 5:15 and talks until 5:45 I close at 6 so its not a late fine. I provide Kinderloop to all my parents so they have an update day as I write all my reports online so anything past 5 mins talking I fine so unnecessary and 95 percent of the time they are talking about topics that don't even relate to daycare lol

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Sometime, you have to be direct.

"Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but it's been a long day and I off the clock now. See you tomorrow"

I like that ^^. I might include in mine. I not often have this issue but on rare time I do, it always when I need to leave promptly.
    I've had this issue. I've pretty much said what Suzie Homemaker has said here. You can still do it very politely, but just say it straight - "Have a great night! I have to go make dinner now, I'll see you tomorrow!" Sometimes people just don't understand that we're as tired as we are at the end of the day. If you flat out tell her that it's time for you to go, there's no misunderstanding.