Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Just gave notice!

So I just gave notice to two families. One other, dad picks up so I thought I'd leave it till the morning to talk to mum. The final family already know as their son is going to kindergarten.

So, the two mums I told.....Mum number one's jaw dropped open and I could tell she was in shock. She didn't ask why, just went into full on panic mode. She is very neurotic on a regular day. The only thing she said was that she hoped she could get her son in another daycare with one of the kids who comes here. And she was stressed at only having 6 1/2 weeks to find alternative care, which I think is more than adequate, especially as the contract only states 2 weeks. I get it though...panic mode as I said.

Second mum, shocked but devastated and started to cry. Very upset and she said its because they love me and couldn't be happier with me. He has been with me nearly 2 years and she has a new one who she would have hoped to bring to me too. She gave me a hug and understood why. She was very upset as I said, and it hurt my heart a bit...that's the empath in me.

So one more to do in the morning who I don't expect a whole lot of emotion from, but she is very nice so I imagine she will be most inquisitive. I think this happening so quickly is part of the panic for one parent, but I still don't regret not giving more notice. I do care, but it is important that I care more for my own family's needs as long as I stay within the conditions of my contract. Given her panicked reaction, I am pretty confident that as soon as she found care, she would have left because she would want to get back into a stable daycare agreement so she could sleeper better at night.

This is a very scary move for me, so it's not without conflict that I'm doing this. I had to fight not to apologize to the parents, because I have nothing to be sorry for, but with 2nd mom, I did say I'm sorry she is so upset, and she said she understands and that it is just the shock.

I hope once it has sunk in that they are able to talk to me about it a bit more.

Such an emotional time. I've given notice before but I was moving house and starting up again. I am closing my business once and for all. This is as much an adjustment to me if not more than them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Wow, I hope this is a bit of a relief. I can imagine it has been a weight on your mind. Hope it goes well with the mom tomorrow. I think you're right, too, once it has sunk in, they will be able to talk to you about it. Congratulations, (maybe a bit early!)

Expansive...
    Congrats BS!!!!!! I am sure you have a long list of things to do as you get ready to go to Uni so that is the first thing you can cross off your list and I am sure you feel good about getting crossing that one off.......Best Wishes for the future

Expansive...
    Giving notice is so hard!
    I just gave notice to a family...6 MONTHS notice! Due to Bill 10, I had to unfortunately drop one child by Jan 1st. Even with that much notice and it being out of my control they are still giving me the cold shoulder big time. Sucks.
    I'm so excited for you though! This chapter is closing and new exciting one is opening! All the best Let us know how the last notice goes

Euphoric !
    Hope your final one was less upsetting this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Hope your final one was less upsetting this morning.
    She doesn't arrive until about 9am. The "panic mode" mom doesn't drop off, her husband does and he is polar opposite of his wife. Calm to the point of arrogant and laid back to the point of not caring. He didn't say a word to me, but there wasn't any bad atmosphere which is good. I'll let you know how it goes with my final family.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Good luck!! Must be a huge weight off your shoulders and now you can fully enjoy your last days with the kids!

Final notice has been given and it went great! She was upset and cried a bit...so more hugs...but again it was just shock. She chatted with me for a while, we have always got on well. Her mother is English and so she relates with me well about some of those home ground things. She just text me now too, she said that even though she was upset, she wants me to know she wishes me all the best and that I shouldn't be sorry and that it's because they love me so much.

It's great to have parents like that who reinforce that their feelings towards this are positive and that they are upset not because of the inconvenience but because they care about me and appreciate me so much. There is always one bad egg lol

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Congratulations! It must feel so nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck with your schooling!

Mom number 1 picked up yesterday and apologized if her reaction was inappropriate. She didn't enquire or wish me well, but did acknowledge that she may have been a bit rude and self centred. She probably was a bit but I understand that she was shocked and panicking. She said she has an interview today with another provider and the other little boy here is going next week to meet with them and she really hopes they get in together. She is very open in saying that this is because it would make her feel better and that she is sure her son will adjust just fine. As I said, she is neurotic, and ever since day one coming here, she has planning her sons life alongside this other kid. lol Nought as queer as folk!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post: