Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Before/After School Care re: Multiple Schools?

Anyone offer B/A School Care for children that attend different schools? I have one child who attends Catholic and someone who needs B/A that attends Public. School hours are the same but child A gets dropped off at 8am (bus comes around 845) and picked up at 5 (bus comes around 4) and child B mom wants to drop off at 715 and pick up at 5.

Now I cater to teachers and operate on their schedule. Child B isn't a teacher kid so has a longer commute time, etc. My hours are 7-5 as advertised up to 9hrs max.

Guess what I am asking is it remotely possible to manage drop offs and pick ups with two diff schools? Is it worth it? I have no clue about the bus schedules yet so may be within mins of one another but who knows for sure. I am debating whether to take on child B but its an earlier drop off compared to my others who arrive at 8, which I can do but not if I need to go out 2x in AM and 2X in PM. All the other kids who are FT are also 8-5 kiddos

Looking for experience for B/A School Care.

Never again will I work with two school again. I did not find it easy. Buses were suppose to come minutes apart at the same stop but one was always late and we waited in the cold for ever. Then the stop changed and I was out four times daily at two different stops and they have different pd days and holidays if it's catholic vs public. So confusing and my door was constantly opening and closing. I now only work,with one school....so much easier!!!

Thanks babydom! I realized as well that they would have different PD Days as well! I will just hold out in hopes I find one more that attends the same school...keep it simple!

Outgoing
    I did 2 different schools this year and will never again. I had my 2 older kids and 1 dck in the public school next door, and 1 dck at the catholic school just up the street. Technically it worked - they all had the same PA days, and there was supervision at both from 9 until 9:15, when both schools started. So as long as we made it to both within 15 minutes, we were fine. The catholic school let out 5 minutes earlier than the public one, so I arranged with the teachers to pick up dcg an extra 5-10 minutes early in order to make it up the street in time for the second bell (snow pants and winter gear, plus 4 toddlers in a quad stroller, plus a gazillion other kids running around to make their buses, plus me being pregnant did NOT add up to a quick, painless walk to the public school!).

The teachers didn't mind me picking her up early, as she was in JK and it took them a good 15 minutes to get everyone ready anyways, but it was stressful every day, trying to ensure we made it up to the public school for the bell.

It also meant longer out in the weather for the little ones and me - more time in -25 degree snow, more time in super-humid weather at the end of the year.

Moral of the story, for me at least, was it was a royal PITA for one kid. I am due in a few weeks, and have already let that family go due to Bill 10, but I am not taking on another kid at the catholic school again. It's one thing to have 4 well-bundled 2-year-olds out in the snow, but I am not bringing my newborn out for any longer than I have to. I am only dealing with my kids' school from now on.

Wishing you a speedy and healthy delivery! Totally hear you on not wanting to do it again. My own daughter is only 2, and my one family of 3 kids live few houses down. I think after reading these few stories, if I do accept one more school aged child, I will be sure to make it at the same school as my current one. Fortunately, the bus stops right in front of my house!

Shy
    Does the B/A kids included in the 5 number of kids allowed? I have parents inquiring for September. They have 3 and 9 and 7 years old. i have spot left for full time care.
    Last edited by yojbongo; 07-21-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Outgoing
    YES they do. Any daycare child under age 13 counts whenever they are in your home. You could take on the 3yo if you have a fulltime spot open, but could only take the other two if 2 of your other daycare kids left before they got there.

5 kids under 13 at any one time, including your own under age 6.

(assuming you're in Ontario)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank u so much..... Yes I'm in Ontario.