Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feeding issues

Expansive...

Feeding issues

I have had a 1 year old here for about 2 months and I'm having a tough time with eating and drinking. The parents told me she had all of the skills to feed self with hands and drink from a sippy cup, but I really don't see much of that here. Fluid intake is about 2oz a day(9hrs) and only a few bites of food here and there. I've tried 3 different styles of sippy cups, to no avail. It's like she doesn't know how to hold it, so it just sits on the tray unless I tip it up. I have tried getting her to do it, and she keeps her fists in a closed position and holds it very ineffectively with her wrists. I'm trying to figure out if it's a stubborn transition, or if she may have some fine motor or oral motor delays. Textures with food, and taking a long time to chew and swallow seems to be an issue as well. The parents have now said that limited eating is an issue at home too(of course that's not what I heard at the interview LOL) I have also found out that Mom is continuing to breastfeed at home roughly 5-7 times a day after she leaves here. Mom originally said there would be one nursing prior to bed in the evening, but obviously that has changed. I'm wondering if the frequent breastfeeding is making the transition more difficult here. I've never had a client continue to breastfeed with that frequency after they started care. All of my other Moms did so once or twice a day once the child started care, and then phased it out around 15-24 mos old. I am very much pro-breastfeeding, but I'd like some feedback, as Mom is replacing drinking with a cup and eating solids with breastfeeding at home. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle because the skills are not being reinforced at home. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Euphoric !
    If the child is only about 12-14months old I wouldn't worry about it. If the child choses to go without food and drink to hold out for mom so be it. I wouldn't get in the habit of holding the cup or spoon feeding the child but just serve the meal and clear the meal as you do with the other kids. If mom is nursing that much the child isn't starving. Since you can't make mom stop nursing there isn't much you can do. Hopefully the child isn't miserable from being hungry and thirsty for you. I would expect as the months go on the child will start eating and drinking more on their own.

Euphoric !
    I agree it the breast feeding that make ripple effect. Would Mom consider expressing to put in sippy cup to encourage use? Child have little incentive if not hungry or thirsty due to being breast fed.