Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How To Reaspond

Starting to feel at home...

How To Reaspond

I have a family who has been bringing in their child between 8:30-9:30 it hasn't been an issue bc I had kids come earlier and I didn't do the whole play group things. However now they are letting DCG sleep in until when ever she wants and don't get here until 10ish (drops off are literally all over the place).

The rest of my kids are going to be coming around 10ish 2 days a week so I told them I am not waking up so early waiting around if I there is no one coming. I also told them that we are starting regular playgroups 2 days a week and it starts at 8:30 so the kids have be earlier.

They said they understood by asked since I am open why can't I wait around for her to wake up lol

How should I respond to this?

Tell them you are a daycare not a drop in center. You have a schedule to keep. Also tell them this is good practice for when their child goes to school.

Euphoric !
    What does your contract say? Are they paying for the day or do they have set hours in the contract? I would think your best bet is to make an amendment to the contract stating their acceptable arrival and departure times. I can see their side, you are supposed to be available for care the hours you specified in their contract they pay for a full day but if they opt to come late so be it.

It sucks to the provider, especially if you don't have other children in care while waiting for them. The only way to officially change it is to put it in writing and have both sides agree to it.

I say I am not a drop in centre and it is unfair to me and the other kids who are wanting to go out and about with our day but can't because we're waiting around for one friend. Every one has hrs listed on their contract like 7-5 or 8-4 but I also say no more drops off after 830. Everyone has to be here by then. If they are not we go out and do our day. Either they miss that day or they text me and I tell them where we are and they drop the child off there like the park, playgroup etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you have something planned then specify on those days that all children must arrive by 830 otherwise you will be leaving without them. As for the other days it can be whatever. I have 1 who gets here anywhere from 930-11. This week we have 2 play dates. I told her which days and said he needs to be here by 9. If they are late she can text and meet us there.

Euphoric !
    Even if you aren't going out and about it is rude to think they can just disrupt the day - do you plan snack for her or not, do you plan craft supplies for her or not, do you start the baking experience or do you risk being half done when she arrives, etc. For the sake of the group to all be on the same page and benefit from the day's activities everyone needs to be in care by a certain time. If they can't make it then they need to keep her home that day instead. Besides it messes with the afternoon nap schedule and that means it messes with your personal time and that is rude too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For myself if I have started prepping food or crafts and child is not here I do not prep for them. If they show up during that time or during they don't get snack at all or are given plain paper and markers.

My late child was showing up right as everyone was sitting down. I quit scrambling to get something for him. I just let him go play while the others ate. Pretty soon drop offs became after snack as mom realized I wasn't feeding him if she walked in right at snack time.

Euphoric !
    My contract require no drop between 9am and 11.30am as we go out during these hours. My contract require no drop off during nap period as it disturbs others. I have business hours and although also have agreements for care for each family, if someone comes later or leaves early, no issue. Also if child who normally gone by 3pm still here after, no big deal, parent pay for full day regardless. If they still here at closing time, then late pick up fee apply.

I not change our routine. Snack is 8.45am and if child comes late, they miss out. If they come after 9am, then they risk no one being here. Lunch is 11.30am and if child come late, they miss out. Nap is noon until 2.30pm, Afternoon snack is 3pm and if child left early, they miss out. All parent know routine so they understand I not setting aside lunch for noon drop off.

Euphoric !
    I agree with playfelt. It's rude and it's also her child that misses out due to her inconsideration. Why pay for daycare if your child isn't getting the maximum benefit out of it??