Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Daily Rates for Long/Short Days

I want to ask what everyone thinks:

I have a parent inquiring about care, she is a nurse so works shift work and wonderful hours (*sarcasm). She would be looking to drop off at 6:30am and picking up in around 5:00/5:30pm.

My daycare policy is - hours are 7:30a-5:30p (a bit flexible on closing time due to commuters) and I charge $35/day and my dck's are in those hours. I have seen some providers charging a bit more for longer days.

I am wondering if you charge more for 11-12hr days? How much more?
    (My thinking is this $35/day for 10hrs = $3.50/hr. So for a 11hr day = 38.50 and a 12hr day = $42.00). Or do you charge more when someone asks to be able to drop off a child early, outside your set hours (ie like this request of 6:30am).

Thanks!!

Euphoric !
    My hours are 730/745 (depending on day) until 445. If a parent needs care out of that time than I'm not the right fit unfortunately.

If you do want to take her on, I think adding the extra $3.50/hr is very reasonable. However, the $3.50/hr is multiplied by the amount of kids you have to make up an hourly wage that is closer to $15-17/hr and for this extra hour you will only be caring for the one child so if you wanted to make it worth your time I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more either.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 07-17-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Euphoric !
    $5 for the extra hour is the minimum I would charge considering the mom works the longer hours and gets time off. At the same time I would be charging my full day rate for the full week even if there are days the children do not come because mom is off.

Expansive...
    I have a 9hr max per day, even though I'm open 9.5 hrs. If a parent couldn't make it work within my operating hours, I wouldn't take them. Don't get into doing "special" for any client, as most times they continue to expect more from you as time goes on. The rotating shifts are terrible for consistency and income as well.

Euphoric !
    I would charge more than normal hourly equivalent for extended hour if I was going to do it. During business hour, I have all children paying that rate so I not earning "fees divide by hour open" but "fees divide by hour open times all children". That would by my hourly rate.

My fees = $38 day. My hours = 7.30am to 4.30pm which 9 hours. We allowed 7 children but take 6. My hourly rate would be $4.22 each child so $25 an hour.

I have two come at 7am and parent each pay extra $10 a day to drop 30 min early. Their contact say care available 7am to 4.30pm for $48 day. This make clear that fee is extra even if not here as rate was given for having two children both come early.

Shy
    Thanks for all the input. More and more I get told to stay within my set policies and not stray. I understand why, simply because one thing leads to another. This inquiry for daycare would be for 8-9 days a month and some days would start 630am and others 8ish-am. My new policy as of sept 1 is 3day minimum because of our governments new childcare bill coming into effect aug 31. I am trying to fill spots but am having a bit of trouble because all my kids are part time and I fear that I will have a conflict with the total of kids per day let alone the under two year olds. I don't want a parent to lose out because I get over booked. So taking this client could potentially cause me more issue than just the early arrival. And that the child is under two.
    I appreciate everyone's input!!

Shy
    Why don't you just charge for a full week and the days off would make up for the longer days. My sister is a nurse and they are well paid with extra days off to compensate for the long shifts.

Euphoric !
    Sounds like it might not be a good fit. The early hours is one thing, but the erratic schedule and the child being under 2 makes it not a good match.

In my opinion with the new bill any one under age 2 needs to be full time. Otherwise long run you'll end up with empty spaces. The over 2 spaces will be harder to fill so you can be more flexible with part time or different hours but those under 2 spots should be saved for full time clients.

Euphoric !
    Personally I would not do it. I set my hours based on my family. I had one family begging me once (without even meeting me) to open at 6:30 for them. They said any extra fee would be fine, they would pay it. I continuously told them no. It ended up coming out that they really only needed a daycare for 6 months until their child was old enough to go to a centre. I was pissed! So if I would have taken them on they would have just turned around and left! I am glad I said no. I already work enough hours. How long until current clients start asking for earlier drop off etc. next thing you know everyone wants longer days and don't mind paying extra for it. Nope! Not me. 730-5 is long enough!!