Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum! I will be opening a home daycare in Ontario upon completion of my maternity leave in January 2016. I'm having a little difficulty setting my rates. The standard daily rate in my area is $35-$40 for a full day and around $25 for a half day. With the new Child Care and Early Years Act, I believe a lot of providers will be raising their rates because of the new rules. I have no idea what they will be raising them to though! I don't want to overcharge and have difficulty finding clients and I don't want to undercharge and rip myself off! I also worry that many providers aren't up to date with the new act and won't be raising their prices because they just don't know about the new rules so it will look like I'm overpriced compared to them. I have two children of my own under the age of 6 so they will both count in my numbers. Therefore, the act does have quite an impact on me as I will only be allowed to take in another 3 children when the old rules under the DNA would have allowed me to take in 5 additional children. That's quite a drastic change in income so I want to make sure I charge appropriately. The new rule of having only 2 children under the age of 2 will most likely make it difficult to start out as well as I can only take on one other child under 2 (because one of my own is under 2). I worry it will be difficult to find children over 2 years of age because most families are looking for care for their one year olds after a maternity leave. Because of this, I also need to make sure I have enough income to survive! Will anyone be raising their rates and what to? How much do you think I should charge? I am not an ECE. Having 2 little ones of my own is my experience. I do however, plan to operate a fun and educational program. I will be providing breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack in my rate. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.