Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadySetGoPlayschool View Post
    Ouch. Some harsh and definitely worrisome replies. Hoping I can clear things up.

I have no children of my own. I am operating a home daycare of out someone else's home. 2 of the children enrolled in the daycare live in that house. We are entering into this arrangement because it is mutually beneficially - I get to have the career that I want and my house is not an appropriate place for a home daycare. She gets to have her kids with a caregiver that she trusts.

I will be self employed. I have set the hours, wage, etc. The home owner is paying the same price as everyone else and she is not earning a percentage of my income.
    Okay.

One more question then. Are you going to be living in the house or just running the day care from it?

If YOU don't live there, you aren't an in-home day care because it's not in YOUR home.

You won't be able to claim expenses for heat, water, etc that are your business costs because it's not your home.

Also, be careful. CRA will likely consider you are an employee because not running day home from YOUR home. This mean your friend has to follow Labour Standards rules. The rules they apply to determine if you employee or self employed is location of work (not your home), hours of work (likely affected by care hour your friend need) etc.

This more complicated than you think.

Link to CRA self-employed or employee : http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-14e.pdf
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 07-19-2015 at 12:58 PM.

So I have found Bill 10 which I now understand is replacing the Day Nurseries Act, but I can't find anything in there that makes my particular situation a problem. Can someone direct me?

So Susie is right. Because you do not live in the home you will not be considered a home daycare you would be considered a nanny. a nanny that takes on more than one family has to follow the new bill 10 rules so you cannot have more than five and out of that five you cannot have more than two under two. you will not be able to claim Hydro water grocery bills things of that matter as it is not your own. you should be paid as nanny from the parent who owns the home then the other kids that come in will just pay you as well and you can provide them a receipt to claim as daycare and you will claim it as income and pay taxes on all of it at the end of the year. the family that owns the home I would give a discount to as you're running a business from there and using their house and their toys and they have to share everything plus use their water and hydro during the day for everyone so their bills will go up. I have done this arrangement before and it actually worked out really well the only thing I found hard was when the family that owned the home was sick or the kids were sick I still had to go there and take the other three kids while those kids and parents were home sick...it was a bit awkward , trying to keep the kids quiet while they rest and hearing them puke and such....lol. Also make sure you have a written contract with the people that own the home and all the daycare parents so if anything were to go sour everything is in writing to cover yourself. Good luck with everything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Start with things like location - illegal to operate a dayhome from a place other than your own home without having the other place licensed as a day nursery. You are a nanny to the other family and need to be treated as such. If the other family allows other people into the home then the age rules take effect because regardless of who is looking after them (home owner or you). What you will find is there are a lot of little areas mentioned that will effect your situation. What isn't beneficial to you in this situation is that you can not deduct any expenses for the program since it is the home owner providing space, toys, etc. While a situation like you are wanting to do was possible before bill 10 it is not possible now without following new rules. This is copied from the frequently asked questions form that was sent out -

Q. What about Nannies? Can they share families? Are they considered daycare providers?

A. Nannies are only allowed to care for one family at a time. If they choose to ‘nanny share’ they are then considered Daycare providers and must follow the rules under the CCEYA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Sounds like an easy work around here is to have the home owner be a partner in my business.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!