Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Insurance help needed - opening daycare in someone else's home

Hello everyone! I am opening up a new home day care and I feel as if I am in an insurance nightmare! The tricky thing is that I am the owner and operator of the business but it is not being run out of my house. The home owners children will be enrolled. I need a policy that covers me, my business, the property and the homeowners (because apparently the homeowners are liable no matter what because it is their home). Has anyone else done this and can offer any advice? I am in Toronto, will have a maximum of 5 kids between the ages of 2.5 and 6. 2 of those kids live in that house. The home owner and I are close friends so we are open to all different possibilities including having her sign on on paper to be a partner in the company if that makes things easier.
    Help?!
    Thanks!

Jenna
    www.readysetgoplayschool.com

Euphoric !
    Some carer here have rental home which they run daycare from. They have daycare insurance add to tenants insurance.

Try Wawanesa or TD Insurance. They seem okay with renters.

Euphoric !
    What you are doing isn't really a home daycare. You will be the nanny for the person who owns the home but it is considered a nanny share situation. At the same time because more than one family is involved you will need to also follow the new childcare ratios in regards to ages and totals. Your children will count and may actually count differently since it is not your home. The home owner needs to get the ryder on her insurance and she in theory should be getting coverage for you for CPP, etc. as her nanny since you are in her home caring for her children. You for sure need to possibly get a legal ruling on just where things stand as what you are thinking is a simple situation is not. You will not be able to claim any of the expenses you incur in their home in terms of running the daycare because the new bill prevents operating a daycare out of a place that is not your own home without a license but at the same time you are not able to get a license for someone else's home. Might for sure want to rethink this situation if you wish to operate legally.

Outgoing
    I know you are asking about insurance, but perhaps the first thing to consider is your employment status. A home daycare provider is usually considered self-employed under CRA rules. A self-employed person is someone who can set their own work hours and conditions as well as setting their own compensation ie. money. Is this your situation? Is she paying you to look after her kids? Is she going to get a percentage of the fees from the other kids? You will likely need to look into a partnership. Contact CRA to find out what you can and cannot do.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    What you are doing isn't really a home daycare. You will be the nanny for the person who owns the home but it is considered a nanny share situation. At the same time because more than one family is involved you will need to also follow the new childcare ratios in regards to ages and totals. Your children will count and may actually count differently since it is not your home. The home owner needs to get the ryder on her insurance and she in theory should be getting coverage for you for CPP, etc. as her nanny since you are in her home caring for her children. You for sure need to possibly get a legal ruling on just where things stand as what you are thinking is a simple situation is not. You will not be able to claim any of the expenses you incur in their home in terms of running the daycare because the new bill prevents operating a daycare out of a place that is not your own home without a license but at the same time you are not able to get a license for someone else's home. Might for sure want to rethink this situation if you wish to operate legally.
    I think we are reading this differently.

You seem to think she is sharing home with home owner, looking after owner's children and taking in more.

I think she's just renting a house and happens to have a friendship with the landlord/owner. Because she plans on opening a day care in the home she is renting, her friend is sending her children to her.

Can you clarify please, ReadySetGoPlayschool ?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadySetGoPlayschool View Post
    I am in Toronto, will have a maximum of 5 kids between the ages of 2.5 and 6. 2 of those kids live in that house.
    The kids live in the house, so I would assume the parents do too. Now, why would anybody take on this kind of arrangement, I have no idea. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but I'm a bit of a pessimist. Seems like a quick way to end a friendship... good luck.

Euphoric !
    I was thinking the two who live in house were her own.

Ouch. Some harsh and definitely worrisome replies. Hoping I can clear things up.

I have no children of my own. I am operating a home daycare of out someone else's home. 2 of the children enrolled in the daycare live in that house. We are entering into this arrangement because it is mutually beneficially - I get to have the career that I want and my house is not an appropriate place for a home daycare. She gets to have her kids with a caregiver that she trusts.

I will be self employed. I have set the hours, wage, etc. The home owner is paying the same price as everyone else and she is not earning a percentage of my income.
    Last edited by ReadySetGoPlayschool; 07-19-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Playfelt - Can you send me a link to the "new bill" you mentioned? I do wish to operate legally of course. We entered into this obviously thinking it was much simpler than it is.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    The kids live in the house, so I would assume the parents do too. Now, why would anybody take on this kind of arrangement, I have no idea. It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but I'm a bit of a pessimist. Seems like a quick way to end a friendship... good luck.
    I knew a provider here in Ottawa that did this. She ran a home daycare in one of the families homes. She benefited because she didn't have a home to run it from the family benefitted because their child was in a group setting but was still in their own home.

It can work. This before Bill 10 though, which does greatly complicate it!