Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Parents Using Washrooms and Walking On Carpet With Shoes!

So I have a few families that do me the honours of giving me more work after the daycare closes lol by walking on my white (more of a cream) carpet in their dirty shoes! I didn't think I had to tell adults they have to take their shoes off before entering but apparently they "forgot" that walking on someone's carpet in their shoes regardless of the colour was rude lol

I also have parent who likes to use my washroom pretty much everyday. It kind of grosses me out bc my own washroom feels like a public rest room but I'm not quite sure how to say no bc I have been saying yes this whole time so I think Im out of luck there lol!

I tried putting a kid on the potty and telling her I'm potty training but she told me that she would just wait lol

If I had more then one washroom I wouldn't care but I only have one that the family uses so I am not too sure if I am being a little mean or if I have a reason lol!

ps yesterday mom lifts the tray part of the stroller to put her child in. There was food still left in the tray and went flying across my floor lmao!! She didn't even say sorry or even offer to clean it up!! Has this ever happened to anyone else lol

Walking on the carpet, I would have said to them to take their shoes off prior to coming into the carpeted area. One thing I have learnt is that never assume anything about another person. Not everyone shares the same rules as us or have the same opinions as us, they can seem rude in our minds, but it doesn't necessarily make it so. To some walking on carpet isn't considered rude so if that is the case, then they won't give it a thought. I always take my shoes off in other peoples homes because it was how I was raised. Doesn't mean other people were though and they could genuinely not have friends with those rules so don't give it a thought. You'd think given the colour they would think more, but clearly not. It's unfortunate and infuriating but where were you when this happened? Wouldn't you have been right there anyway? I would have been on that in a shot always expecting someone to walk on it. Even if it was unintentional, I would still be extra alert should someone just simply forget.

As for your washroom, I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If someone needs to pee, they need to pee. Who cares if they pee regular as long as they are polite and clean up after themselves. My last house had 1 bathroom that is it. No en-suite and no 2 piece. If anyone needed to pee they were always in our family bathroom and had to walk through my house but really, I'm not going to turn away someone who needs to go, that just seems petty. Just my opinion though.

Some people actually need direction. Whether we want to parent them or not, or feel like we are always having to tell people how to have common sense, it doesn't change the way people are. Have no expectations from these people and then you won't be disappointed. We can't control others, only how we react to them and some people will just be forever clueless. Get a hall mat to go over the cream carpet to prevent dirty foot prints, or be on them like flies on s&^t before something happens. And if they are entering your home beyond daycare boundaries then flat out tell them that they are not to go beyond a certain point. As for the bathroom use...I'd just let it go. Far more things to worry about.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks Bright Sparks!
    Well how my daycare is set up is when you first enter there is a hall mat then past that is ceramic tiles and then after that is carpet and that's when the daycare starts. What would happen this one parent had a child who would point to toys once we were on the hall way mat and the DNC would say "oh do you want to show my okay show mommy what toys you play with" so her daughter walks right in and mom follows into the daycare with her shoes on!

What I started doing since this child is the last one to go I run all music and lights off so they get the hint and when the little girl point
    s to the toys I say "no you can play with the toys tomorrow" it's been working so far lol

Euphoric !
    "As little hands touch our floors please leave your shoes at the door". Get a sign made up!

I had to put up a sign once that said please remove footwear before coming downstairs. In my house when you walk in there is a landing then the stairs right down to the basement. My entrance and stairs are linoleum and my basement used to be carpet. I had one mom not take off her shoes and just walk down the stairs (boots in winter and sandals in summer). Drove me nuts but I didn't say anything. Well one day one of the kids was going upstairs to use my bathroom at the back entrance and slipped on water from the melted snow from her boots. Lots of tears and a big bruise to the front of her leg and I put up my sign. She got the hint!

This was the same mom who would come in and sit on my couch with her daughter! Ummm no, time to go. I had to start turning lights out etc.

Luckily the group I have now is good. I have one military dad so when he comes in at pickup I take his child upstairs so he doesn't have to unlace his big boots.