Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I have a rule that if a parent shows up they must take the child with them - I explain it to them that it is a matter of trust between the parent and child. The mom promised when she dropped off the child to come back and pick them up so when she comes back she needs to keep her promise or the child will learn not to trust what she says. That in turn has negative consequences as far as the daycare goes. Often the parent asking about open door policy is asking because of negative info they have heard and I am honest and say when you arrive my door will be locked. Ring the bell and I will come as soon as I can but if I am tucking a child in or changing a diaper or pottying a child please be patient as I will assume it is a door to door salesman and not a parent in the middle of the day and not drop everything to rush to the door. I try to make it light and take some of the doom and gloom parents fear out of it. Then I go on to explain how the dropping in unannounced works and why and have never had a parent say they didn't agree. I also make it clear they drop in and must leave within 15 minutes because we have to go on with our schedule and it isn't fair to the other children whose parents can't drop everything and come. It rarely happens past the first month of care that they just drop in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    In my contract, I clearly state that my open door policy refers to open communication...if they are that worried to stop in and check on their child, than there is obviously something they need to talk discuss. Why do they feel that way? What are their concerns. Of course, I always give daily reports and pictures when they first start and I think it really comforts the parents. I also send videos I believe it is much harder for the mommies than it is for the children and I definitely empathize with that.

Communication is important, you should feel comfortable within a few minutes meeting your provider, a sense that they are genuine, a down to earth feeling. It's something you'll pick up on right away. The conversation should be easy maybe with a few giggles during the interview. If you don't feel this during the interview, it might be the wrong place for your child. Also, brings me back to my point...open door as in "walking in at any time" if you feel the need to do that, it also is probably not the place for your child.

I had a provider for my children. I never felt I had a reason to "pop by". I felt comfortable and if there was anything I ever questioned, I would ask at pick up or drop off. Watch for body language, attitude. If they are in this business for the right reason they will be very understanding of any questions or concerns you have. I always remind my clients about my open communication policy/open door policy and I have also been very honest and open about my concerns or questions as well.

I have had my 2 sons at home, as they're just starting JK this September. As it is their home and they are free to play where they want, I am not keen on parents dropping in at any given time. But like I said, it's important if the parent has concerns, to voice them right away.