Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Back to work..home daycare questions...

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.. so I am new here. I am going back to work this month, and I am finding it difficult to feel confident in looking for a home daycare or any daycare at all. I have two children, and a step child and we are trying to locate adequate and affordable daycare for all 3. I think I have found a place, but I am of course still iffy.. they are my babies! Anyone have any advice on how to make this transition more comfortable for mommy

Euphoric !
    You're going back to work this month, but do not have daycare lined up yet? Oh dear.....

Where are you located?

Euphoric !
    I guess the things I always recommend to parents are:

1. Open door policy. You want a place that hasn't got an issue with you walking in, any time. Of course, always be respectful of nap time and realize that we treasure that 2-3 hours, so never disrupt that. But any other time of day should be fair game. And use it.

2. Make sure to follow up on references. We give out those names and numbers for a reason. Call them. Talk to the people who have used the service before and have a genuine conversation about it. References should be past and current and there should be a decent number of them. I have 8, just in case someone is unreachable.

3. Ask about insurance!!!!! So many times I interview people and they have no idea to even ask. It's so, so important!

4. First Aid/CPR - make sure they've got it.

5. Know the regulations in your area regarding child/adult ratios and age restrictions. Bring this up in the interview so the provider knows that you're well informed and knowledgeable.

6. Get comfortable with your provider. I treat interviews as more of an informative visit. It's relaxed and parents can ask me anything they want. Follow your gut. Your instincts can carry you a long way in this process. When it's a good fit, you will probably feel it.

7. Look for a solid contract that outlines all the expectations/rules for that business. The contract is there to protect your interest as well as the provider's. This is very important!!! A word of advice - don't try to renegotiate the terms of the contract. Most providers put a great deal of time and consideration into their terms and polish it over the years. Trying to change it is a fast track to the waiting list.

Providers who are in this business as a serious career choice make their professionalism evident in their contract, daycare space, curriculum, menu...everything. Those who are in it to make extra money on the side generally try to incorporate their daycare space into their home with a shelf of toys in their living room, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the same thing as a daycare set up by someone who's chosen it as a career. A dedicated space set up with well thought out centres, lots of toys in storage for rotation, a variety of crafts using different media, attention paid to all cognitive, physical and emotional areas of development are represented in activities and equipment. You get the idea.....go with your gut and ask lots of questions....and visit. You'll know when it's right.

Good luck!

Euphoric !
    I agree with most of above EXCEPT open door policy.

It very hard to maintain routine if parent treating day home like drop in centre. Some children get very upset when parent coming and going and it incredible disruptive. If all parent come and go as they wish, it would be chaos. Children crying because they thought they were being pick up when in fact Mom just dropping by. That triggers others in crying too. Plus, not all parent comfortable with endless in and out of adults.

I would also add, think about if carer is experienced. Working in day home and running own business, very different. Many new parent start day home but have little experience being parent let alone managing group of children.

I also disagree with dedicated space being indicator of serious day home. My basement does not have a walk out and for safety of children, my day home on main level. In event of fire, I would not be able to get 6 children out of my basement in one trip which why my day home not in basement. This is a shared space with lot of toys and I been in this business for over 20 year.

Euphoric !
    Know you area's rules. Not just day care regulation but also school board expectation.

Here, children grade 2 and under must be accompanied at bus stop by adult and met by adult too.

If you day care takes mixed ages, how do they get them to bus or school? If driven, do all children have age appropriate car seat? Is carer insured to transport children who not her own? If she walk to bus stop, how does she transport littles? Are small children out in cold and rain waiting for buses? How far bus stop from home? Does she have waterproof cover for stroller or are littles cold and wet in the wind? Or worse, does she leave littles in house when bus due? Might only be end of her driveway but electrical fire, choking, anything can happen in few minutes. Who supervising children if not all meeting bus? Get police check for them too.

Police check should be shown as well. Two checks to complete. One is for criminal record. One is for vulnerable sector which include crime against children. No point in knowing they never stole a bag of chips if not checking child abuse crimes too.

Screen time - some carer use TV as part of their day. Find out if yours does, how much, etc.

Does carer run errands in business hours? Does she leave children with spouse? You are paying her to care for your child, not her husband or mother. These all question to ask too.

Euphoric !
    One other thought.

Depending on province, some carer not take sibling group of three. Most province limit number of children. Some province allow 4, some allow up to 7 but this include carer own children.

Three places will be majority of spaces if carer has own children. That big risk to rely on one family for most of income in case you move. Lot carer here won't take more than 2 siblings from same family.

Expansive...
    also you may be better off looking into a nanny to look after all 3 children in your home, just another idea

Outgoing
    Regarding the open door policy, I am happy for the parents to show up anytime, and ask they respect nap time. However, if they are showing up, it's assumed they're taking their child with them when they leave. Every single kid I know would be devastated if their parent showed up and didn't take them home.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    Regarding the open door policy, I am happy for the parents to show up anytime, and ask they respect nap time. However, if they are showing up, it's assumed they're taking their child with them when they leave. Every single kid I know would be devastated if their parent showed up and didn't take them home.
    I am happy for parent to show up anytime too. If they have dental appointment or doctors appointment or any reason at all. But it would be assumed they coming for their child.

I not view this as open-door policy so maybe language barrier mistake?

I consider open door policy to mean they pop in when they want, hang out with child, and go again. This I can't have. As you say, any child would be devastated when parent put on coat and go without them. They be very upset. Their friends would then be upset as crying not something happen a lot here.

If open-door policy mean parent popping in as it suits and going again, that not someone I would permit. Too upsetting to children. Too disruptive to routine. What parent going to do in this visit? Sit on my couch? Want coffee? Hang with child? They very disruptive and I not have police check on my client parent so how would other parent feel with uncleared adult in house hanging out with children?

What if parent one leaves, all children get resettled, then parent 2 appear and it all repeated. It would be endless interruption and no routine. The children won't know which way is up.

What if they come at lunchtime? Or diaper time? Do they sit at table and chat and disrupt the meal too? Might be okay if carer home all day but what if we go to park, or splash pad, or museum or to see puppet show at library? We expected to cancel activities to be home in case parent want to call in?

Outgoing
    I think we are both on the same page. It sounds nice to parents, but unless it was an infant, and mom was showing up to nurse, I don't think I'd let them leave and come back later for their child.
    On the other hand, if a daycare provider told me I couldn't come during the day, I would be suspicious. I think there has to be a solution that works for both parties.