Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by lplplp View Post
    I don't think bringing up your late fees was appropriate. This person was upfront in saying they are specifically looking for a daycare that is open until 7pm. If you close at 6, it would have been more appropriate to say, "Unfortunately I close at 6pm so I am unable to provide care until 7pm. Good luck." Of course you should be honest about your policies. However, this person wasn't inquiring about your late fees. They simply wanted to know your hours. Would you have let them come to your home anyway, knowing they aren't a good fit for you?
    Oh, I didn't add the whole conversation in the post. Right before she asked for late fees I let her know hours and late fees?

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    Seems like you dodged a bullet! How disrespectful to tell you that you do not care about children just because you value your own time! Reality check for this la woman. It would have been hard for me to let this one go. The nerve of some people! You know, IMO not allowing others to try to bully you does not count as unprofessional in my books. I have worked in executive positions in the automotive companies in a male dominated industry. If I would let something similar go I would have been eaten alive. I am almost sure, most male leaders in high positions would not let something similar go (unless it was a strategy). So don't feel bad about it, you stand for yourself. You may have even prevented another daycare provider being bully by this one.
    Thank you

Just go tell anyone from any other profession or level in their companies that they are incompetent or do not care about their job because they do not want to work for FREE past their working hours and you will see the answers aren't far different from yours

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTwigs View Post
    Oh, I didn't add the whole conversation in the post. Right before she asked for late fees I let her know hours and late fees?
    So you took out parts from middle of conversation and just posted other bits?

Why you edit first post so not there to re-read and check understanding?

Nope never said that.

Outgoing
    Oh now I'm curious. I came into this conversation too late apparently.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yeah I'm late the conversation too. My guess from talking to many parents on the phone is that the mom isn't so much telling you off about the late fee as she is voicing her frustration at not being able to find a daycare open long enough to cover her hours. The late fee has nothing to do with the fact the mom asked for a late pick up time. A simple sorry I am not open that late is all that is required and then wish the parent well in their daycare search. Our closing time is not something we have to justify to anyone nor do we have to let anyone talk us into something we don't want to do. Telling a parent fine I will stay open for the extra 2 hours but it will cost you $30 or whatever while it might be the truth from the provider's perspective it comes across to the parent in a very negative condescending way and yes would get anyone's dander up. It is because you are talking about two different things - a late fee is for a parent that abuses their pick up time. A parent needing an extra two hours of care in their day needs a simply sorry my daycare is not the one you are looking for.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry if this comment seems off as the initial post has been deleted.

For myself if anyone inquires about care that are not within my hours I just tell them thank you for your interest in my daycare but I am not flexible on my hours. It is important to remain as professional as possible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Filling the spots too fast can be a reality check of dealing with the parents daily!!!

Shy
    I never seen the original post, but read the parent said the provider must not like kids since she has a closing time LOL. No matter how much a person likes their job, they also enjoy other things in life too! Don't let that parent make you feel guilty because you like you enjoy your evening after a long day. Don't let that parent take that enjoyment away from you. She must of been in a bad mood to talk to someone like that.