Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

When to advertise and how

I would like to start a home daycare in January when my maternity leave is over. I'm wondering when should I start advertising my daycare. I don't have the space set up yet but I would assume it should be ready before I advertise. What is the best method of advertising a new home daycare?

Euphoric !
    Can take up to a year to fill all spaces with quality client who good match. If you are going to take just anyone who want space, then less time.

Start advertising now. This allow you some time to be selective. Most parent will want to see space so sooner that set up better.

Use any advertising available. FB groups for day homes, FB friends to share information, Kijiji, mail box flyer, notices in doctors office or grocery store notice boards. Anything and everything that permits adverts where young families go and will see it. Getting known in neighborhood biggest advantage so you are first name people think of when new parent looking for care.

I also think that having a website is also very helpful. Quite often, a parents first point of reference, including yourself in this instance, is via the internet. First thing many people will do is google their town plus daycare. Make sure you get a free website set up, wix, weebly and webs offer them, and name your daycare with the first letter being at the beginning of the alphabet so alphabetised results bring you up on the first page. Also add your business to google places so once again when people google daycare in their area, you come up in the first few results.

Advertise now, list in your advertising that you have spots open for January. I have many enquiries currently for Spring next year, I'd get on with the advertising ASAP.

Euphoric !
    Probably more important than having everything set up is having your contract and information forms ready before you start advertising. As to the space know where things are going to go and put out what you have but let parents know that you will be purchasing according the ages of those coming into care and then supplementing monthly with new items.

Once you have your daycare set up, website up and running, your contract done and your policies set, then start to advertise. This way parents see that you are serious about doing daycare.

For advertising: business card, website, word of mouth, community boards, facebook groups, fliers, lawn sign (check with bylaw), daycare bear, google maps, etc.

Never state that you are new in your ads that will stop some people form contacting you. Parents get nervous and are unsure how long you will actually stay in business. (50% of home daycares close within there first 18 month). When they come to the interview and ask how long you have been in business then let them know you are just starting. Once you have them you can sweet talk them into giving you a chance.

Make sure you know the laws for the province you are in.

It can take up to a year or longer for a new daycare to get going. SO the sooner you start to advertise the better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree 100 percent with blue rose. Get set up, contract done and do not advertise that you are new.

Expansive...
    All good advice from everyone, Just wondering where are you located?