Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Is it mandatory to allow parents to drop in?

Is it mandatory in Ontario to allow parents to drop in anytime they wish during their child's regular daycare hours? I have found on ontario.ca a statement saying, "All providers are required to allow parental access to the premises and their child." Does this mean at any time though? I would like to allow drop ins for the parents' peace of mind. However, I feel it will be quite disruptive during the day and to all of the children in my care. My biggest concern though, is that other parents will not feel comfortable with another child's parent dropping in.

Euphoric !
    I don't know the "rule" but I would think it's okay to set boundaries for this. Things like no drop ins during meal or nap times and/or must take child with them. If they want to "surprise" the provider and do a check in (which I agree with during the first 1-2 months) than I suggest to do so by picking up early.

I think if a parent is worried about another parent dropping in, than group care is not for them.

I personally don't have any times that a parent can't come by but if it will be during nap I ask to know ahead if time so I can make alternate napping plans for that child that day (I'll have them sleep in a different area usually so I can easily get them when needed without disturbing the others)

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I think if a parent is worried about another parent dropping in, than group care is not for them.
    Excellent point. Thank you!

I think this is more for parents that are not together and there is no legal documentation stating that one parents doesn't have access. There have been some providers refusing a parent access to their child because the other parent told the provider not to allow that parent to take the child. Without legal documentation this is illegal. I always allow parents access (ask not to come during nap time) but if they show up they have 5 min to get their kid and leave for the day. I am not a drop in play group. This new rule doesn't allow the parents to use us as a drop in play group, it allows them to come and pick up their kid. It also means that if a parent is disrespectful to you, you can't say you can't do drop off/pick up any more only the other parent can. You will either have to put up with the abuse or terminate the client.

But this is just how I interpreter the new rule. And the rule does stat there are exceptions. So I am thinking a court order stating a parent can't have the kid will over rule this rule.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think it just means you cannot withhold a child from a parent at anytime. So even though my contract reads no pickups during naps I cannot turn a parent away and tell them to come back after 3. If they show up you must give them their child. That also means you need to answer your door at all times (if your door is not open for parents to come in).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My contract states that if a parent drops in to see how a child is doing then they must take the child with them because a child is conditioned to know when the parent comes back it is time to go home it is upsetting for a child to see the parent come back and leave with out them

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

I have it in my contract that there are no pick up/drop off between 1-3pm (nap time) however, should a parent choose to come and get their child at these designated times, then a termination notice would be in hand after the 2nd time. As well, I encourage parents to pop in anytime, however, they must take their child with them. I have never in my 5 years of doing daycare have a parent take me up on that offer!