Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Cooperative Agency - ONTARIO

Several weeks ago, CICPO approached the Ministry of Education with the idea of a Cooperative Agency for Ontario ICPs. They listened and have put together a smaller working group to discuss the potential of this model. Included in the group are members of CICPO, CCPRN, Municipalities and Agencies. Our first meeting is August 20th!

There will be a video released soon (CICPO and Megan Elford - welcometothezoo.ca ) outlining what this model will look like and offer a bit of a comparative to other agency models. I will post as soon as available. Basically, the model we're proposing would cost ICPs somewhere between $750-$1000/yr (tax deductible) to be affiliated, which is thousands of dollars lower than the current agency model. While allowing ICPs to retain their autonomy (selecting own clients, setting fees, creating contracts, etc), the agency will provide ongoing professional development, support and mentoring. In addition, where applicable, there would be inclusion in a registry pairing children with special needs with ICPs with specialized expertise and education in these areas. The registry will be the first of its kind.

With Universal Child Care a very real possibility in the future, the Cooperative would allow ICPs the licensing they require to continue to participate in the childcare industry unencumbered as well as allow us the 6th child and the ability to apply to the ministry for waiving the 2 under 2 (special circumstances). Basically, we'd get everything agency providers do, but with a lot less hassle and expense.

We need feedback from ICPs across the province that we can incorporate into our briefing with the Ministry on Aug 20th. The main question we need answered will come out with the video in a short survey. So please, mull this new information over, talk about it with your friends, clients, etc and keep an eye out for the video and survey. It would be truly wonderful if we could get this off the ground for providers all over the province!
    Last edited by cfred; 07-31-2015 at 09:47 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Shy

This is such a great idea, I am really excited to see this come to fruition. Please let me know if there is any way I can support the CICPO in their efforts!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRiverELC For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I will RedRiverELC! We're all very excited about it and look forward to seeing this work out. My computer hasn't stopped pinging since I posted this morning! We need lots of people to talk about this, share info and, once prepared, to fill out the short survey.

Shy
    YAY! This is fantastic news! I'm an independent childcare provider. I've never had problem filling my spaces or doing the administration myself so I've never had a need for signing up with an agency. I did explore the option when I started out but they wanted to pay me significantly less than the going rate but charge the parents even more, that's a high price tag for admin so it didn't make sense to me. The only real set back for me is that I can't take in subsidized children because I'm unlicensed, I've had to turn away families that wanted me personally to care for their most prized possessions. I would much prefer this option, I could still cut out the middle man and have the freedom to run my home daycare the same way I have been for the last 6 years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lauramartin For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Glad you think so lauramartin! Yes, our price tag is much lower! What I like most about this set up is that it's going to be run by an organization that fully supports us..that has fought for us. Well...essentially, it IS us I love that we would hold the same 'license' as any agency provider, be able to take on subsidies, obtain the oversight that will satisfy the Ministry and still be able to run our businesses in our unique and vastly varying styles.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks for starting this. This is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for. Always wanted to have the option of being licensed but didn't like financial and operational restrictions that the current agency model imposes. And based on discussions I've had with fellow independent care providers alot of people feel the same way. This has the potential to be very successful once word gets out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rhasbury For This Useful Post:

Would we beable to accept subsidy families?

Euphoric !
    Yes, BlueRose. All providers under the cooperative agency we're proposing would be held to the same licensing standards and privileges as a provider from any agency out there. We will be able to accept subsidized families, apply for a 6th child, apply to waive the 2 under 2 (special circumstances). Anything they can do, we can do (better...hehehe)! This WILL be an agency, but it will be a cooperative...run by ICPs for ICPs. Less fees and services we need and want, not a bunch of others we have no interest in.

In order to make this happen we need one regulatory change - Currently, the inspector to home daycare ratio is 1:25 with monthly home visits. We want to get that changed to 1:100 with quarterly inspections. We have research behind this and solid arguments. But we also need to have the support of ICPs everywhere in the province to show that this is what we want. The Ministry is aware of what we are looking for and added us to this working group with other agencies knowing our numbers. They are listening. They want us to come to the table with a viable option. This is it...we have a really good shot here.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm not in Ontario, so this doesn't apply to me. But I did want to say that sounds like a great option. It sounds awful dealing with the agencies in your province.

I'm sorry but I have a question, being new to the home daycare world. Why would any icp want to join an agency? With all the fees we have to pay and they pay us less then if we do it on our own, why wouldn't we want to do it on own? I get that if a provider can't fill spots or are just starting out they can benefit from an agency helping them find clients and such. I guess I'm asking if a provider is well off, always full spots on what they want to charge what is the incentive in joining an agency? I see it as they will take money for fees and if they provide a child I'll make less on that client then if it was private. Plus I find the inspections invasive. I have nothing to hide and my parents are always welcomed whenever but they can disprubt a day or routine. I've also heard horror stories of being shut down because a paring knife was left on the counter while serving snack.
    Sorry this is long.....I guess Im trying to understand why everyone seems so excited about joining an agency....what am I missing?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post: