Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Argh! Advice Please!

Advice needed (and a rant)

I posted few days ago, askng if I should follow up with a mom I met with etc, how she asked for my contract and I never heard back.

All this to say, I followed up she said she was interested and asked if she could drop the contract and deposit off tonignt. I said sure. She shows up with husband in towe at 930pm. Waiting to meet my husband as well. Then on the spot says she needs 5:15, and doesn't think she could make it back for my 5pm close time. Now, she knew my hours when she inquired since they are posted on my website. Then on the spot after waiting all night at 930pm with her husband with her says 5:15.

Honestly, I was caught off guard said we could maybe discuss it. But now, I'm just angry I was put in this position. She had all the time BEFORE coming to ask about a later pick up (Anything after 5 is later) This child is before/after school care and mom is a teacher. I also have 9hr days and during PD days she seems to need 730-515 (her other toddler is in FT daycare about 25-30m away, so there is a commute factor).

I feel like the hours in my handbook were just entirely overlooked from my 9hr max to my close time. I don't know how to proceed. My next fam doesnt start until Oct (also a teacher, and here 8-5)
    Feel like I just lost control in a weird way! WWYD???
    Last edited by Fireyesblue; 07-31-2015 at 08:57 PM.

It'd be up to you in what do YOU want to do?? Do u really want to stay open 15mins later for this family? If it's not a big deal then do it, but charge her a late fee of a dollar a min so 15$ extra every day. Or do you want to stay firm on ur 5pm close and don't want to work late? Then u say sorry like I've mentioned before my hours are till 5 and I will not stay open longer, unfortunately you will have to be here for 5 or find another daycare provider.
    Note: if she agrees to come on and pick up at 5 make a note she has to sign in the contact that if she picks up after 5pm late fees will apply and you will terminate on the spot. Because she'll probably think I'll say five but come late...what will she do then I've already signed on.
    Good luck!!

Outgoing
    I wouldn't give in to the later time. Not that 15 min is a lot but that's not the point. You have operating hours for a reason. you had the interview, she read and signed your contract, why now does she need the extra 15 minutes? i would tell her no, you close at 5 and if it doesn't work for her then she has to find someone else to work with.

Euphoric !
    I would not now.

When I first opened, I made this mistake. Let someone have a later pick up time and not add to fees for extra time because it was few mins. Then next client needed same and it felt petty to deny their request so then there was two being picked up later.

Sure enough, few month later, client tell me that their hour at work changing and they needed to drop off earlier. Suddenly my day extended both ends of day. Not for long but still it happened. And a few month after that, same client needed later pick up and since they been having earlier drop off for free, they expected later pick up for free.

I say, think carefully. It potentially can of worms to give message that business hours negotiable. And ALWAYS charge extra for it other wise it becomes expected for free.

I would also say that it on a use it or lose it basis because sometimes, I would be up and ready to start day early as they said they needed and they not arrive until 15 mins after agreed time.

It took long time to get client all back to core business hours so I wouldn't do again because of ripple effect.

I emailed her the following morning (Saturday) and let her know I close promptly at 5pm as per my advertised hours and our discussion during our meeting. I informed her, I would not be able to accommodate a later pick-up. I asked her to let me know by the end of the weekend if she still planned to send her child or preferred to find alternate care. Still waiting for a reply. I have decided if I do not hear back from her by tonight, that I will be letting her know that due to her lack of reply, and needing different hours as discussed that it would be best that she seeks care elsewhere and that I have torn up her deposit (cheque). This girl has been making be run after her for 3 weeks with no respect for my time or family. I actually hope she doesn't reply. Hate having to accept on clients due to financial constraints. Thx all!

Euphoric !
    I think most people might like cheque back rather than trust stranger has torn up. Not saying you not honest but this client might prefer to have their cheque physically in their hand to have peace of mind it not going to hit account as a surprise withdrawal.

Maybe ask if she want to come and get cheque or if she okay with you destroying it.

I wouldn't be waiting around on her anymore. She messed about a lot and even if she decides normal hours okay, I not sure it good match. Continue advertising, not contact her and if she contact you, see if she want to come get cheque or trust you to destroy it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Def isn't a good match given all that has happened. I'm just trying to think of the proper wording to use to let her know she should look elsewhere even if she does agree to my hours. Something is off, and it didn't feel right during the interview. I need to trust my gut on this one.

Expansive...
    tell her you have you need to be off at 5 at the latest and it isn't a good fit with the pick-up time she needs , good luck with her search elsewhere
    Last edited by Van; 08-03-2015 at 03:01 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

If you don't want to be open later then just tell her that you close at 5 pm and if she is late picking up after 5 pm then there will be a late fee. By the sounds of it she seems to lack respect for you your family and business and that's not someone who I would want to interact with on a business level everyday. I never chase anyone who needs care, if they don't reply then I just assume they are not interested and move on. As for the check in you don't want to deal with her in person give her a 48 hour deadline as when she can pick it up or just place it in your mail box

Euphoric !
    I would just tell her that you thought about it and the latest you will do is 5. My hours are my hours and I do not make exceptions!