Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Just need to let some of my frustration out.....

Ugh....so - I have a family that I interviewed and who are scheduled to start up here in March. They have been a cause of so much stress that I am seriously considering letting them go before they even start (I've NEVER done such a thing in all the years that I've been a caregiver) First off, they took FOREVER to return their signed contract to me. When they finally did get it to me, their deposit cheque bounced. WTF ? I realize that things happen, but wow - I have no words for how frustrated I am with this family. I'm continuing to interview and as soon as I have another family that's a good fit I'll be letting them go - wonder if I should let my cheque for the refund of their deposit dues bounce. Just had to let this out....

Euphoric !
    I'm confused....so they have the spot secured for March but you are still interviewing? Why did you ask them to pay the deposit then? I'm not being mean, just trying to understand! Are there other things that this family has done that is frustrating?

As a side note, one of my first families had their first payment bounce. Mom was SUPER embarrassed and paid my NSF fee plus paid in cash (and than paid in cash from then on) It was an honest mistake (had banking issues as she had a lady bounce a cheque on her on an expensive item she had sold). They ended up being one of my best clients though!! We still chat from time to time, had a playdate with her this summer and when we ran into each other camping we spent some time together. She also still sends so many people my way. She is one of my best for references! Sometimes people just need a chance to get known

Outgoing
    This makes no sense at all.

If their cheque bounced, why even consider taking them on? Sure these things happen, but it's funny they always happen to the same people.

And if you've accepted their signed contract and their deposit, why are you still interviewing? Your place is filled!

Either you want them as a client or you don't - and either is fine and 100% your choice to make - but to accept a signed contract, make out all is good regarding the bounced cheque but to interview so a replacement, is awful. Either accept the bounced funds as an honest mistake or be truthful, tell them you aren't willing to risk this and would rather continue looking for a different family.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

If a deposit cheque bounces, I wouldn't even consider doing business with this family.

I do not take ANY CHEQUES. I do cash only, and give a rec. right away, when taking a deposit, and a rec. at tax time for daycare fees.

ETA: When interviewing a family with an extended start date I do one of two things..... I either charge a holding fee, 50% of monthly fees with their deposit being deducted from the first full month of care, or I offer a casual drop in space until the family starts...(to an interested family that knows that the space is avail. for that limited time only)

But as the others have said I do not con't to interview unless I choose not to do business, and return their deposit...Or in your case tell them that the contract is null and void, and that I have chosen to con't looking.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 11-10-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Euphoric !
    I completely agree with Rachel on this one. If you accept their signed contract and deposit then you need to quit interviewing. That to me is just as bad as families who book a daycare spot but then keep looking. I had that happen once and it ticked me off!

You need to make up your mind. Either you accept their bounced cheque (I would take this as a huge red flag though) or you need to tell them that it is not ok and return the money and keep advertising for the spot.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    @ Five Little Monkeys : I have families provide me with a non refundable deposit of two weeks dues when they sign a contract with me. It demonstrates that they are serious about the space, and my contract states that if they choose to not begin care (renage on the contract) the entire sum of the deposit remains with me. If they start up with (as all of my daycare families do) the funds are applied to their child's last two weeks of care - whenever that may be. I found that once parents had already paid for their child's last two weeks of care, they became a lot better about providing two weeks notice. I continued interviewing families because they took so long (over 3 weeks) to return their signed contract and deposit cheque to me. I've learned from hard experience that until I have a signed contract and the deposit dues - nothing is for certain. I had tried contacting her several times (and via several ways - e-mail, phone, texting) and she never returned my calls/messages. I figured that they something funny was going on, and I decided that I'd better keep advertising/interviewing - they weren't giving me any indication that they were serious about things. (IMO) I agree with you about the possibility of the bounced cheque being a one off kind of thing - I do get that financial fluidity can be the first thing to go when you're at home on mat leave and down to one income - BUT she still hasn't come by with the deposit (almost a week later) - if she wanted me to believe that this really was an unfortunate "oops" then she really should try to fix it as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Monday 2 Friday Mama; 11-11-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Monday 2 Friday Mama View Post
    ... I am seriously considering letting them go before they even start...as I have another family that's a good fit I'll be letting them go...as I have another family that's a good fit I'll be letting them go
    Quote Originally Posted by Monday 2 Friday Mama View Post
    I've learned from hard experience that until I have a signed contract and the deposit dues - nothing is for certain/
    If you don't have a signed contract AND a deposit, then they have not fullfilled your requirements to hold a place. Therefore, they are not clients and therefore they do not require 'letting go' as you don't have them!

I don't understand what the issue is.

I'd try one more time to contact her, tell her that the cheque bounced and therefore, you are not holding a place for her and wish her all the best.

Euphoric !
    Agree, my contract says it is the signed contract and the deposit that secures the child's place in my daycare. If both are not given then the space is not secured. You have every right to continue to advertise and interview. If you are unsure about this family then don't accept any replacement payment from them and let them know you plan to look for an alternate child. You do need to let them know the cheque bounced though and what it means to their daycare space but you are under no obligation to recontract with them if you don't feel it would work out well. But they do need to be told this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Honestly stay away from these people. They are not serious about securing the spot and you do not have their money yet. I would email/text them saying that their cheque has bounced and you can no longer secure them the spot. Keep advertising and move on. I say stay away from this family. You should not chase after clients.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: