Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Collecting EI

Starting to feel at home...

Collecting EI

Hello everyone. Need some help. I am currently collecting EI. I started a part time child last week, and need to claim the money ($120.00) I believe you are able to claim $50.00 additionally each week. Does this mean they will only deduct the remaining ($70.00) from my pay each week? Would/could they decide not to pay me at all? Just curious, What would be the max amount of money someone can make, before EI stops paying you altogether?

TIA

Outgoing
    You are able to earn an extra $50 per week on top of your EI payment. Anything more than that is deducted dollar for dollar from your EI. So yes, if you made $120 last week, they'll take $70 (120-50) off of your EI payment. I don't believe they can just decide to not pay you what you are entitled to, unless you start making more than your EI payment. As long as you don't earn more than your EI payment, they still have to pay you the difference.

As to how to go about paying/claiming that, I don't know. The CRA website should tell you, but it would probably be beneficial to call them. You'll wait on hold forever, but you want to make sure you're doing it right and sending it to the right people so that they don't screw up and accidentally stop your pay or something.

Just as an aside, I really commend you for going above-board and claiming all your income while on EI. I have heard of many providers not doing that, even advertising online saying that they are not offering receipts because they are on EI while doing daycare, and I find it infuriating. It's people that are willing to break rules and go around the system that give all of us a bad name. Kudos to you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi, I recently looked this up. You definitely need to read about it on the Service Canada website. There is something in effect until August 2016 called the Working While on Claim Pilot Project. It changes the way they deduct money from your benefits if you are earning income while on EI. It does not apply to maternity benefits (first 15 weeks of benefits) but it does apply to anyone receiving parental benefits (the following 35 weeks of EI if you are receiving benefits for the allowable 50 weeks). I'm assuming this is what you are receiving EI for. If you are receiving maternity benefits, all earnings will be deducted dollar for dollar from your benefits. If you are receiving parental benefits, if your earnings are equal to or less than 90% of your weekly insurable earnings that were used to calculate your benefit rate, your benefits will be reduced at a rate of 50% of your earnings. Any earnings that exceed this 90% threshold, will be deducted dollar for dollar from your benefits. There are quite a few examples on the Service Canada site to show you how they would calculate exactly how much they will deduct.