Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Parents blocking driveway

I have a single width driveway, and I have several parents that will dropoff and pickup, and then idle in my driveway for about 10mins to talk on their phone or send texts. The result is that the other 3 parents must park down the road and cross the street with their toddlers to dropoff and pickup. I obviously don't agree with cell phone use while driving, but I think it's rude and dangerous to the other families to block the driveway. Thoughts? Suggestions on speaking to parents directly, or adding it to the monthly newsletter? Thanks.

Euphoric !
    As rude as it may be I would rather them talk/text before the drive. I often have parents sitting in my driveway as well. I find it more annoying when they do it at pickup and we are outside playing and they sit in their vehicle on the phone before getting their child. Child is anxious to see mom but mom sits in driveway on phone for 5-10 minutes!!!

I would just put a request in your monthly newsletter asking parents to limit their time parked in your driveway for other parents picking up and dropping off.

Shy
    I really don't like parents doing that in my driveway either. I like to have the children ready for pick up and once I see the parents pull up - we have to wait and wait. I agree when it comes to making it more difficult for the other parents to pick up/drop off. They should park along side by the curb if they want to sit there and text or make calls. For the clients who I know do this consistently, I no longer have their child ready for them. They ring the door bell and then they have to wait for their child to get ready.

I agree, it's not fun for the child to know mom or dad is here, but not coming in....they don't understand why and they get impatient and I also find it somewhat ignorant and awkward when I'm outside with the children and they're sitting in the car on the phone - that doesn't happen as often, but it's one of my peeves. AND THEN....coming to the door on the cell phone soo rude! lol, another vent from me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fivelittleones For This Useful Post:

This is one of my biggest peeves as well I rewrote my policy book years ago to include "no blocking the driveway". If I see a parent on their cell phone I will walk the child out to the car and hand them over, tell them good night and send them on their way. I've done this twice to a previous client. They did not do that a third time.

If someone needs to make a cell call or text or whatever....I ask them to do it on the street and NOT block my driveway. Not to mention their kiddo is fully aware that they are out there.

Euphoric !
    A while back we were playing outside when dad came for pick up (they live a block away so he came with empty stroller). He was on the phone with a friend (he doesn't work so it wasn't work related). He walked up with stroller, no hello or anything, kept talking. The child (2.5yrs) crawled in the stroller, did her buckle and away they went.

I stood there thinking - you haven't seen your toddler in 8.5hrs and she doesn't even get a hello! Sad.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Wow! I don't think any of mine do this, at least not that I've noticed!

I would just mention in your next newsletter that pick up and drop off's in the driveway are to be limited to 5 mins so that other parents can utilize the driveway as well

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    ...and a hello/thanks to you would've been nice as well. Geez!!

Outgoing
    Tell them straight up. Please don't block the driveway. It's in my handbook too, but people do it anyway so if you have to verbally tell them also, then do it. I can't tell you how many times my husband comes home and can't get in the driveway because someone has blocked it. He would park on the road and go back and move his truck later. One day a certain parent blocked the driveway- frequent occurance- and he came in and asked her to move it so he could get in. She was a bit embarrassed but did move it. i revised my handbook- no parking in the driveway AND don't block the driveway.