Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Ideas for Jumbo Cardboard Rolls

Hi there!

I have recently gotten new vinyl cushion floor put down and there are 3 large cardboard rolls left over from it. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do with them? They are each about 3 feet long and quite sturdy. They would not be strong enough for the kids to stand on for long, (although I would love to let them!) also I know if I just give them to the kids, someone will get hurt. We could decorate them, but then the question is, what to do with them when they're done? I have been staring at them for a week now, and am at a total loss.

Thanks in advance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Do a ball maze!! Tape the tubes to the wall on an angle and let the kids put balls and other items down the tubes. If your kids are older you can use marbles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Use them as car ramps. Let the kids experiment with which cars go further down the ramps at same level (big cars, little car, heavy/light).

Do cars go faster/further down a ramp that starts high or low?

Do the same with a variety of small balls.

Let them discover how other object go down the tube. Will wood blocks go down? Why not?

Use a bit of painters tape to help keep the ramps in place (tape to walls, table tops, chairs etc).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks, I really like the idea of ramps for cars and small toys, although they are way too heavy to tape to the wall.

But now, you've given me the idea! I will cut the ends off at different lengths, and then the cut piece will be the support for the rest of the roll. More slope or less. If I attach the three rolls together, they will be too big for the kids to pick up, so no worries about anyone getting hit on the head. They really are way bigger and heavier than wrapping paper rolls.

Euphoric !
    The wrapping paper tubes are perfect for taping on the side of kids slides. Then they can race their cars down.

Let us know how your tube creation plays out! Sounds like lots of fun!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't know if this would work for you but I have a chain link fence. I'd zip tie them onto that!! Could use water, balls, small cars etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I have a long tube from some curtain fabric and I'm going to use it for a pirate ship mast taped onto the end of one of our daycare tables or zip tied to the bottom of the staircase if that doesn't work. We'll use some old fabric (e.g. t-shirt) and decorate the flag with markers :-)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redhead For This Useful Post: