Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Climbing out of the playpen - already!

Eeeek! Help! lol, I didn't expect my little ones to be climbing out of the playpens this fast (18 months). She's a little shorty, but determined I tell ya!

Any suggestions....today had to keeping going in to put her back in the playpen, we must have done this 8 times before she gave up. I'm planning on the same method tomorrow until she just realizes it's not allowed. She's too young to be put on a cot in the room, she'll get into everything...and not a fan of putting her in the play area, because she'll most likely play instead of sleep. Stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Anyone been through this experience and have some advice for me??

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I heard of others putting the child in one of those sleep bags....apparently makes it harder for them to use their legs to get up and over. I've been lucky ~ caught one child trying to go over and all I had to do was say NO in a very strict voice. They got the message!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I had one that climbed out and what I did was stand outside the door and as soon as I heard his feet hit the floor I swooped in and picked him up and I sternly said "no climbing out" and put him back in and then left he did it again and I did the same thing and after two days he never climbed out again .... You have to use a stern face and voice and keep doing it and it won't last long ..... If you have a video monitor that allows you to speak to the kids ...use it and as soon as she goes to stand up tell her to lay down ...

Euphoric !
    I've had 2 who've done this. The first one fell over the side and it scared her so much she never did do it again. The 2nd one would try from time to time but I had him on a video baby monitor so I'd radio down and tell him to lay down. More often, he would just stand up and scream/cry and call out to the others (he slept in a different room! Lol) so I started putting a crib sheet over the top of his playpen. It usually worked!!

Euphoric !
    Video monitor works great. Tell to lay down as soon as they stand. Two days constant watching will curb but worthwhile time investment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Have had a few that I was threatening to get some very big boxes and make a tall wall around the playpen so the sides were another 3 feet. The baby monitor you can speak to them usually works. Have also heard of using a full size sheet over the playpen and then catching the corners under the feet of the playpen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: