Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Part-time vs Full-time

I've had a parent ask me about part-time care and I am open to the idea. Do your full-time and part-time contracts differ from each other? In what ways and why?
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Outgoing
    I don't currently have any part time kids but I do have it available on my website. Obviously the rate is cheaper, but I have stated in my contract that part time care is based on 14 days or less and there must be a set part time schedule in place. This is for my own sake so if needed, I could find another part timer to offset the hours that aren't being used.

Euphoric !
    My contract is the same and there are a few spots where it will say the rule for fulltime and the rule for part time such as vacation days allowed since they are prorated for part time. The fee for part time is greater and must be set days. It works out well to get two part timers to share because the two fees together is more than my regular weekly rate although it is a bit more work too. For a parent with a shift work floating day schedule that might need only a few days per week but the days vary is considered fulltime since I need to reserve the whole week for them although if it is to be 2-3 days many weeks I have charged them a 4 day rate rather than the 5 day rate.

What part-time is for my daycare: They come to me less than 5 days per week, or every other week. I do not take kids for half days (unless they're in JK/SK). Same rate as my full-time kids.

For example, I have a p/t and a f/t. f/t kid comes 5 days/week. p/t kid comes 2 days/week. rate is standard ($35/day). If you're a half day child, so 4 hours or less, my rate becomes $25/day. I do take before and after school children and that's $20/day.

Hopefully that makes sense?

I have a question about f/t and p/t now. I am in a situation where I have been getting many emails, and need to think of the future (Sept 2011).
    I currently have a:
    - f/t toddler,
    -will have come Sept 2 school aged kids (so before and after school),
    - possibly a 14 month old f/t come end of Aug,
    - possibility of my current p/t infant staying in Sept

Here's the situation: I might be getting soon 2 school aged children before and after school 3 days a week for every second week. How do I tell them that I would like to keep f/t children if possible. I have a meeting with the parent on Friday. Should I just sign the contract until June??

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    I would simply sign a contract to cover this school year and then say you will reasess based on your openings, ages of children in care etc. That is a lot of income to waste on school aged kids as they not only take up a space they basically eat what you earn and use the rest on activities like crafts if you offer them so there is no money in them at all. There is enough time to advertise to fill your spaces for the Fall so a shame to give them now to earn basically nothing since you are wasting two spaces for 6 days a month. I feel for the parents but not fair to ask you for that.

Starting to feel at home...
    Did you already commit to the school age kids? Are they related to your fulltime children? I have a school age child, but I don't mind keeping her on because her 1yo brother is a great addition to my fulltime children.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

No, the school-aged kids are not related to any of my 'babies'. I haven't committed to any either, other than the two school-aged kids that are my neighbours (and will be getting the girl for my dance school too!).

I technically have the school aged kids for 2 hours each day ($20/kid), so most likely no crafts, only one snack if any.

Thanks Playfelt for the suggestion of reasessing the contract - I think I will do that!

You could give them the option ie., perhaps to be assured of care the parent(s) may wish to pay full time school age even though they are part time, parents/clients need to realize that this is your full time income, it is a business and you cannot turn down a full time placement but will guarantee them at least ____ however long you are comfortable with notice and/or guarantee to June and explain this is because this is your full time income and you have to find full time children.

It is wonderful of you to consider the parents; I know I am always conscious of that, however after the years I have provided care, I don't think parents spend alot of time worrying about giving us more than 2 weeks notice (sometimes less and sometimes none).

I have a question...I'm in BC and not licensed so I'm able to take 2 kids apart from my own. I have one full-time tot and was looking for another full-timer for months, but didn't get far. A neighbor came to me for after school care and I thought well since I can't get a full time I might as well get something...I also like them and the family very much and couldn't turn them down. Since signing the contract etc. I've had a couple people contact me about full-time childcare!!! I don't know what to do...the after school starts next week. For now the contract ends in April as work schedules may change...I really need to make more money but don't have the heart to tell them that! This is hard