Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Parents Not Communicating

Oh god I really need some help with a new client and I have NO idea what to do.

I have a new client who is suppose to start mid Sept. I asked her to confirm her start date asap as I am making a schedule and need to know a start date, pick up,drop off etc. She came back with a date that I had another child starting. I told her that date is taken but we can do the next day. She picked the 11th for example and I said no that won't work but we can do the 12th. I have had to message her about HER child care schedule and I am constantly messaging and not getting a response until a few days later.

I find this so rude bc I am trying to have everything ready so I know my hours for my own personal life. I told her last night in email and text that if she doesn't get back to me today she wont be able to start until October (my current family who is moving wants to stay until than). This women has put a deposit down for her spot back in March. I am at the point where I will ask her to give me an answer within 24 hrs or else the spot is going to get filled with a family who actually communicates with me. What is even more rude I extended my morning hours for her to help her.

Would this be okay....I just don't know what else to do and its frustrating!!

Ps I have a transition program that I tell parents helps a lot. Ex we start 3 days a week for a couple hours and after two weeks of 3 half days a week we start full-time. I find this helps ALOT if the child who start full-time and cry ALL day long doesnèt cry so much on their first full-time day. If a parent starts their child full-time (no half days just the full days) and that child crys ALL DAY do you ever call the parents to pick up..

thank you thank you!!

oh I just thought of something else lol does this seem like a red flag to anyone else. I am worried now that if her child gets hurt or sick she will never answer her phone. Or what if she is late she wont answer if I am calling to see where is. I have been waiting for a response since Thursday and I have re messaged and emailed last night.
    Last edited by crayolamom; 08-16-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Euphoric !
    Is it possible the family is on holidays and doesn't always have access to internet. In the grand scheme of things it is possible to start more than one child on the same day and to have a varied integration - some cry anyways even with several months of integration and others start cold turkey and adjust fine - it depends on the child and how socialized they have been.

I understand that it is possible to start more than one child on the same day and that may work for some but I don't do that. For me that's not an option the issue I am having is the lack of communication .

Vacation or not she can still reply. I have been having an issue with this for 3 weeks now

Euphoric !
    Seems odd that you took a deposit without a signed contract noting the start date. What does the contract say? what ever it says, stands since it is in writing. If it merely says start date of mid-September then you legally can't withhold care until October because of slow communication.

It is still a month away, they may not be in the mind set of knowing fine details yet, she may be trying to get a hold of work to set those details and just not communicating that to you. They could be out of town, or hosting out of town company.

Being slow to respond to email/text doesn't seem a big issue to me. If you NEED to know these details you should be phoning her. Texting just isn't an effective form of communication.

Also, if you have set days she is NOT allowed to start then this needs to be given to her before she tells you the start date she needs (at your request). You have given her the freedom to chose the day, both in your text and by not declaring a set day in the signed contract you can't then take that freedom away.

I would be quite upset to have put a deposit on care, then having been asked which day I want to start to be told, "oh that day won't work". Maybe she isn't responding because she is annoyed. Or because she expected to start on the date she given and your saying she can't means she is having to try and find alternate care.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I totally agree with Lee-Bee.

Contract should have firm start date and their start date isn't subject to what suits you but when they need care. Negotiating these detail should happen before contract and money exchange.

It clear e-mail isn't getting you answer in time frame you prefer but they likely away. If I wasn't starting work until September, I would be making most of family time before and not checking in with things that a month away just because someone wishes I was.

Phone the house and try and speak to her.

If she needs care from 11th, it seems really obstructive to offer next day! Why not offer earlier date since not having two on same day is totally about your preference and convenience. I'd be fuming if I paid back in March to secure care, was asked when I wanted to start and then was told I would have to wait until next day or worse, next month!

Change your contracts so firm start date is on them and all this can be avoided in future.

It seems like poor planning and making things over complicated.

I agree. If you knew a start date like the 11th was out of the question then u should have told her that and not ask her when she wants to start. Also stop texting and email.....call her. I'm sure you can get everything you need by one phone call. For,future I usually get the times and dates signed in my contract with the deposit. If they sign early and don't know their work schedule yet I make them sign in the contract that they must let me know 2-3wks before their start date.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Why we are talking about a contract is beyond me bc I specially asked a question regarding parents who take two weeks to respond. She needed care for Oct. and I said THAT was fine. Now she wanted care mid September (this was never agreed back in March so if you want to fume over something you never gave someone a date for ahead of time that would be your problem) I started messaging this women back in July to get a clearer start date and she got just got back to me now. ALSO her officially start date is mid Oct and she wanted to start transitioning mind Sept

I asked her and another family when they would start (one is coming back from vacation and has been away all summer) the first family got back to me right away and this women got back to me a week later and by the time her royal highness got back to be that date was taken.

So yes, technically I can with hold care until October bc I was never under any kind of impression that she would need care as early as Sept so if I get back to her with a date that is taken bc 1 she took to longto respond and 2 we never agreed on that. Luckily I only take 3 kids now and have the flexibility of doing that bc I have extra spaces.

If you need care a month prior to agreed start date then yes I believe she should be checking in bc I need to know who is even going to here for Sept.

Why would it seem obstructive to offer care the next day if someone who was suppose to be here for that month to begin with got back to me a week ahead of time! I do not transition more than one kid on the same day. Never have never will.

How is it poor planning if a parent doesn't know their exact start date. Am I Sylvia Brown from the Montel Williams show that I can predict people start dates for childcare also how is it complicated by asking...what day did you want to start....

this lack of communication isn't due to me saying no this has been happening for a while. If she doesn't get back to be by Tuesday I will call her Wednesday
    Last edited by crayolamom; 08-16-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Euphoric !
    We aren't mind readers either, you stated in your original post she has a start date of mid September. You lacked all the other details that you are defensive about.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Who said anything about you being a mind reader. She was suppose to start mid September so I am not sure why that confused you so much. I didn't add every detail of my business bc that's not what my post was about and if there was some confusion ask before assuming someone took a deposit