Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I'm not sure why you are so upset. You asked a question and people were trying to help you. No one was being rude but merely pointing out some things you may have missed based on the initial info you gave. I get it, it is annoying to not have parents get back to you when you are trying to make plans but don't take this out on people in here.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

I never take a deposit without a firm start date.

I also give them start options. For example September 2, October 5 (Just a random date) etc. I would give them until October to make their final choice regarding care, this mom probly has a zillion things going on.... (Waiting for her job to get back to her re: start date, sorting out driving times, arranging back up care)

I also never start a client mid month unless its urgent, and we work out a payment plan for those days...but that is my preference.....

PS: Don't shoot the messengers, we are only trying to help.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with the others. When my contract gets signed, it specifically has the start date and hours of care needed. Plus, if you already have a deposit from her, I wouldn't worry about it. If she doesn't get back to you, you keep the deposit and move on.

I suggest learning from this experience by maybe confirming start date when deposit is collect and contract signed for next time. For now, I would call her and instead of texting or emailing.
    Last edited by mattsmom; 08-17-2015 at 07:22 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

I disagree and feel that majority of the comments were geared toward telling this women that she didn't do her job properly and that she is a poor planner (totally unnecessary)and the other half are saying not to sign a contract without a start date. Other than the last few comments how did anyone try to help her because I didn't read anything about how to deal with parents who aren't communicating with you and I myself was curious to see.

I have many many times signed clients on without a start date. People have different jobs and not everyone knows exactly when they will start and I do not think that you did anything wrong other than chasing this parent.

I never chase anyone for care ever! If she is planning on starting in Sept she is honestly probably really busy with work etc. Like someone said you have a deposit don't worry so much.

If you have a bad feeling follow your instinct and start conducting interviews for October. If she doesn't get back to you sometime in the first week of sept try calling her and if it doesn't get anywhere terminate care and put on someone new.

I am sure everything will be fine. As a parent I would never put a down payment down if I wasn't serious or not ask for the money back for whatever reason so I am sure she is just bus.

Goodluck and I hope it works out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyTwigs For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Maybe just explain to her that you understand she may be busy, however, you are trying to accommodate a start date for her in mid September and in order to do that you need to hear from her by such and such a date; otherwise, she'll have to start in October as originally planned.

Try to take things with a grain of salt on here. You sound stressed and defensive. Take a deep breath, you'll work it out. We have to be more patient with some parents than others. I'm sure once she starts daycare it won't be so hard to communicate with her.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    oh I just thought of something else lol does this seem like a red flag to anyone else. I am worried now that if her child gets hurt or sick she will never answer her phone. Or what if she is late she wont answer if I am calling to see where is. I have been waiting for a response since Thursday and I have re messaged and emailed last night.

Maybe, but at this point, it's hard to know. The mother gave you a deposit in March, correct? I assume you met with her then, at least once. Have you had any other communication with her between March and July when you started asking for a start date? When you do reach her, either by text or voice, maybe schedule another meeting. Short, and informal, just a chat. If it won't work in person, do it over the phone, but let her know it has been concerning to you that she isn't responding, and that you are worried this will mean she will be unreachable once care has started. She might be surprised that you have found her unresponsive. Not everyone has the same idea of what 'soon' means.

If a parent starts their child full-time (no half days just the full days) and that child crys ALL DAY do you ever call the parents to pick up.. .
    Nope. Don't want to start the habit. "If I cry long enough, I get to go home." On the other hand, if a child who doesn't normally cry, starts crying for no reason and won't stop and is miserable, then yes, maybe.

Euphoric !
    We can only help with information given. Your first post was not clear and many gave good advice using information they were given.

No, I don't call a parent to get their child if they are crying. The only time I call parent during day is if child is sick. We don't always get smooth days and that same in any job. Crying child is part of job.

And no, I don't see her not responding to you as a red flag. If child in your care, most parent will answer phone when you call. But child not in your care right now, and she has own schedule and commitments. Most parent prioritise calls. When mine home, if phone rang, I would glance at caller ID. If school calling, I would answer if during school hour and my child there. If school called in evening when my children home and safe, and it was not convenient, I would not always answer. They could leave message and I get back when it convenient. No urgency if my child is home and safe.

Okay thank you everyone.

What do you do if you have a child who won't stop crying. I mean cries from am to pm and starts to make throwing up noises from crying so hard. How long would you let it go until you call or would you even call at that point.

Euphoric !
    Okay thank you everyone.

What do you do if you have a child who won't stop crying. I mean cries from am to pm and starts to make throwing up noises from crying so hard. How long would you let it go until you call or would you even call at that point.
    I had a child cry 24/7 for 2 weeks. No lie, no exaggeration, ALL DAY crying!! I was just about to lose it. I'm not a drinker and I was drinking wine almost daily after work lol. It was so stressful but I would just go about our day and try to include him. He cried during it all but slowly started participating (while still crying lol). Than that 3rd Monday he came in, waved goodbye to dad and was one of my easiest kids EVER!! We have a play date with him on Wednesday actually

I expect a transition period to last up to a month. Some are far quicker and some are longer. As long as i can handle it and i can see some improvement, I give it a go.

I too have had to deal with a child crying all day. It was the younger sister of a boy that I had for 3 years already. He was the easiest child, but his sister? She was a year old and cried bloody murder for at least 3 weeks. She was a serious momma's girl and I thought I was going to lose my mind! Well she is 5 now and you would never know that she was like that. She is like part of the family and is so comfortable here.
    You have to give them time to adjust. Some kids are easier than others...that's just part of the job.