Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Errands

Outgoing
    I don't, but I close at 430, so I can usually get most things done after work. One of my families that came to me when their daycare closed, they mentioned that she would take the kids to buy groceries, etc. And the family liked that.
    Now that I think of it, we do sometimes walk to the store if we need something. But there isn't much close to me, so it doesn't happen often.

Euphoric !
    Suzie- with the comment that we are paid to work not run errands then how does that logic apply to days we close with pay. We are being paid to work right?

Focusing on the child's needs not the providers? Well do the kids not eat? What is wrong with buying groceries while on the clock? Kids learn life skills while running errands, learn about making healthy food choices.

I don't book many days off a year and ask all parents to give me notice when they will be away. Most times if I just have 1 kid I will close. Sometimes I am not given notice and suddenly find myself with 1 kid. I certainly am not going to sit and entertain 1 child all day long. What a great chance for us to go out and get some stuff done and we always follow up with something like mcd's or the pRk

Outgoing
    Suzie, going grocery shopping can be an amazing opportunity for learning: math skills, colours, nutrition to name a few. During the holidays, it can provide an opportunity to talk about different cultures and how they celebrate. I agree that we arent paid to shop but if it is used as a learning experience, that is great.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by fivelittleones View Post
    I take my dcks out but only for day trips. I will have less children this September and so I'm planning outings once or twice every week, but they are geared toward the children having fun and learning. I wouldn't feel right going out shopping or running errands either, it doesn't seem very professional to me. However, not knocking others for doing it, to each their own. Everyone runs their business differently and has different values and goals.
    Me too.

We go library, splash park, type activity but never errand.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Suzie- with the comment that we are paid to work not run errands then how does that logic apply to days we close with pay. We are being paid to work right?

Focusing on the child's needs not the providers? Well do the kids not eat? What is wrong with buying groceries while on the clock? Kids learn life skills while running errands, learn about making healthy food choices.

I don't book many days off a year and ask all parents to give me notice when they will be away. Most times if I just have 1 kid I will close. Sometimes I am not given notice and suddenly find myself with 1 kid. I certainly am not going to sit and entertain 1 child all day long. What a great chance for us to go out and get some stuff done and we always follow up with something like mcd's or the pRk
    I sorry if you upset with my view.

Paid leave not relevant. My point was I being paid during day that child is here, to educate, entertain and care for child. It not for me to go doctor, grocery shop, bank and bring children along. My day care hours are for the focus on children's need, not for my needs and expecting children to go along so I can reduce my to-do list.

If I nurse, I could not wheel patient in bed to grocery store and it be inappropriate.
    If I carer in nursing home, it be inappropriate to take elderly person to do my errands.

All grown up have thing they need to do at end of work day. All grown up need groceries, banking, pick up dog food. Just because we work from home, that not mean we have to lower standard of professions.

No other job would allow this "on the clock". People expected to do in own time. And before you say we work longer hours than most - that is our choice. We chose home day care. We choose more than other child care person, our hours. Yes, kid learn life skills while running errands and will learn when doing that with their family.

If you think buying grocery on clock is okay, that fine. I was clear that for me it not. I would also not have daycare children sort my dirty laundry, or clean my toilet but that is life skill too, no?

I would open for one child because I have contract for care. If some don't come, and I have one, that way it goes. I would not dream of saying to that one set parent, "oh I'm closing today because I'm not going to sit and entertain your child all day long so we doing my errands and your kid can tag along". If that how you choose operate, that fine. But not me.

Suzie, going grocery shopping can be an amazing opportunity for learning: math skills, colours, nutrition to name a few. During the holidays, it can provide an opportunity to talk about different cultures and how they celebrate. I agree that we arent paid to shop but if it is used as a learning experience, that is great.
    Yes but that not what was said. Taking child for errand is not primarily for learning experience. It for convenience of provider primarily. Adding a couple of math question not make it suddenly about child care. It still about provider doing personal task in work day however it presented.

Euphoric !
    All opinions aside it comes down to what you tell the parents before they sign a contract.

If you let them know that you will be doing errands and housework before they sign they have the option to send their child elsewhere if they are not comfortable with this. If you inform them of this first then you are doing your job (while running errands)...you've put these errands into your job description.

Parents just need to be given the chance to agree to it first. It is just about being transparent with the families and not about who is doing better care.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Even though I do the odd errands with my dck's, I always turn it into a lesson and than end it with a fun child themed activity. Shopping is one of their favourites though lol. They help me buy ( pick out) a lot of the toys actually. The parents enjoy that we get out and do things in the community. I know a few of them don't take them on errands so when they come to the grocery store with me, it's a great time for them as we discuss the things we see, talk about being patient in line, etc.

I think this is a great asset to home daycares. The children are treated like my own and are included in activities that me and my family do. We are a tightly bonded dc and my dck's ask for my family members all the time. They truly are part of my extended family.

From my experience, parents around here would be more okay with the odd errand on "work time" than having to pay for my vacation days and have no service given.

If a dc was doing daily errands and ignoring the children's needs than I'd be more concerned but I don't think this happens very much.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Suzie I am not upset with your view I just didn't see how you can say we are being paid To work but then have paid days off.

Also I would never just tell a parent I will be closing today just because I have 1 kid. This is why I ask all families for 1 months notice of their time off. Then I have enough time to decide if I want to close or not based on how many kids are here. Usually if it's just 1 I will close and be able to give plenty of notice.

For my families they have no issue with me running errands. I don't do it often and it is often paired with a trip to the park/splash pad and mcd's. That being said it is very rare that we go out - maybe once every few months. Summer more often as people are on holidays.

I also go online (like now), do laundry, clean, etc while "on the clock". Kids are having fun enjoying free play.

Shy
    You can't be doing learning activities from open to close. As long as a provider does learning activities on a regular basis, it's not going to ruin a child's future if a provider runs errands, cleans the house or plays farmville. Kids want variety too. There is nothing wrong with taking a child out into the fresh air and sun and driving into the real world where they will learn about the world they will grow up in. Yes, they can have these experiences with their parents but alot of my parents drop their kids off and go run their errands so things get done quicker. Providers can easily run their errands after hours in peace too, but they choose to bring their daycare children along during their work hours to add variety to their program. Life skills are very valuable. When these children turn into adults they are not going to be doing learning activities all day, they are going to be running errands so why not teach them how things get done since some parents don't. I play farmville everyday, do my laundry, get all my house cleaning done, pay bills, menu plan, run errands, give the dog a bath and even watch netflicks during naptime. I also have a very educational program and themes. I am not a robot and the perk of working from home is being able to do stuff around the house. I like to get things done during work hours to increase my relaxation time during my off hours. If I didn't do things during my work hours, I'd be doing chores non-stop in the evenings and weekends and would burnout quickly. The kids in my care are very happy and need time as well to interact with each other. They do not want to be listening to me teach all day. Just let kids be kids and let them play!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adaycarelady For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't know why everyone is so shocked with Suzie's response. I have been following this forum for a while and Suzie was actually being kind by saying she doesn't do it but if others do do it that's their choice.

As for the comment above "you can't be doing learning activities from open to close" really? That's your only job how can that be so difficult for some? If that's a major issue don't do childcare.

Many people at work don't get a two hour or 3 hour break while children are napping and have to clean the house after they get home from a long day at the office.

When you go into your doctors office ask him how many times he leaves his work on the clock to go pick up groceries.

As for the life learning skills, give me a break! Typical excuses to justify dragging someone's kids around town to pick up groceries and to run errands how unprofessional.

You work long hours and that's parent of the job so if that doesn't work for you find a job outside the home were you get a half an hour break and can go pick up your groceries than.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to crayolamom For This Useful Post: