Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Not sure what to do!

Advice needed. Have a little girl who has a sick tummy. She's not complaining about it but has had horribly watery bowel movements since yesterday (she had 5 yesterday). Essentially she pooed through her diaper now just before nap as it just ran down her legs. Mom knew about yesterday and I did not send her home at the time as she was still participating and otherwise was ok. Although not eating nearly as much as normal. I disinfected everything and no other kids (other than my own) were present yesterday so I didn't panic.

Mom said she was good last night and offered to keep her home but I said as long as she's ok and able to participate then it's ok to come. She had a few "tummy hurt" complaints through the morning but continued to play. Then the poo happened and now she's napping.

Would you send a child home for terribly runny poos???? I feel unsure.

Euphoric !
    Yes! I send a text after the 2nd runny poop saying I will contact for pickup with no3. At no3 they go home. Depending on time of day I will sometimes allow them to come back the next day. But if I do allow the next day they are sent home after runny poop no 1 and they then must stay home the next day. Often mom will say night was good in reality child still has diahhrea and that is why I send home after 1st one. Sometimes it is just caused by a certain food so I give them the benefit of the doubt and sometime allow return the next day.

After the one today that ran down her legs I would have called for immediate pick up. I would get child now picked up after nap and they should remain home until it's over - definitely tomorrow for sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    THANK you!!! She's getting picked up asap.

I also send them home for running poos. I wait till the third one then call. They have to wait 24hrs before returning.

Euphoric !
    I wait until 2nd and then child go home. Vomiting, runny poops, temperature, are automatic exclusion until 24 hour symptom free, without use of meds to hide symptoms.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by chenderson View Post
    (she had 5 yesterday).
    Beware, if it happened this much yesterday, it is most likely not over.

When she comes back the next day, make sure you aren't sitting on the floor, playing blocks with the group, and have her come over to sit on your lap. If you do, it is quite possible the watery poo that was contained in the diaper will flow up over the top of the diaper and soak your shirt, and flow through the leg holes of the diaper, soaking your pants (and if you are really lucky,) there will be enough if it to make a puddle on the floor beside you.

Although this is what you might call a 'worst case' scenario. It could happen to you, too! The first really runny poo, gets sent home. No fooling around, and... never again.

Shy
    I would put it in your contract. It gets to messy. Also they need to be washed with soap and water with those kinds of stools. It still stinks and then they get a rash because it needs to be cleaned properly. If her tummy hurts and she has the runs, she's obviously not feeling well. It's nice for mom to offer to keep her home and I would take her up on that and make sure she stays home the next day. It could be a stomach virus and you might be putting everyone else at risk by letting her stay there.

Euphoric !
    You will also know the child if they have been there for awhile. I have one who gets diarrhea usually when we eat grapes. I try and feed those for afternoon snack on Friday's! Lol.

I once had a girl whose poops were always watery! I was constantly calling mom for pickup on no3. She was getting annoyed with me. I talked to mom about potentially a milk intolerance? Of course she didn't think I knew what I was talking about. She also always told me she was fine at home. I think mom thought her gross diapers were normal. Ummmm.....no!!! She eventually got sick of me calling for pickup and went to a different daycare. I always wonder what the next provider thought. All I know is I was happy to have kids with normal poops again!