Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Opening a Part-time day care in Manitoba

Hi,

I am in the process of becoming licensed to open a home day care. However, I am realizing that, because of my own family's needs, I won't be able to work full-time days. I have been thinking of being open for only mornings, such as 6 pm - 2 pm, for example, or only full-days on Tuesday and Thursday (another idea).

I am concerned that I won't have clients, or enough clients to make opening a day care worth-while, with hours like these. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would love you hear your thoughts!

Thanks very much,
    Stacie

Euphoric !
    I not know Manitoba and typical working day for parent so not sure how many client you will have with these limited hours.

Will say that most parent at work for 8 hour shift. Even if you get shift worker who work 6am until 2pm, your hour not give any time to drop child and get to work. This why many day homes open 9 hours or more - so parent have travel time, work time and time to come back for children.

How many careers in your area have work hours of 6.30am until 1.30pm - to allow for traveling time?

Here, shift workers not normally have fixed shift unless they on night shift. For most, they have rotating shifts. Usually 6am until 2pm one week and then 2pm until 10pm next week. If this how it works in your area, then you will struggle for clients because you only open for one of the shift patterns - plus no time to get from daycare to work or work to daycare, without being late.

Often shifts are rotating days too. Seems to be lot of that in last couple years where they have 4 days work and 4 days off so need availability of a full-time place to be reserved for their child, even though not use all days every week. Again, in this area, Tuesday and Thursday only would be useless to most parents. Although that might be their shift pattern on one particular week, they would again be without care for any other shift pattern.

How many people in your area only work from 6am until 2pm?
    How close your location to areas where shift workers are based?
    Are you 3 min drive to main employment area or 20 minute drive?
    How many people in your area only work on Tuesday and Thursday?

It can be hard to fill places at best of time, when open 10+ hours a day Monday to Friday. The hours you are considering will likely only suit incredibly small percentage of parents seeking care. I not know one single person who work the hours you considering.

I think, unless a 7 hour shift of mornings is common near you, or a set 2 days a week that happen to be the days you are open, is common near you, you will have very hard time getting clients.

Parent will go to someone who is open for all their required hours, not just some. It too complicated for child to be in Kali's care some weeks and another providers other. They will just place with the other person.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 08-22-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Outgoing
    Where are you located in Manitoba? In Brandon and winnipeg, you'll probably fill up, especially if you're licensed. If you choose to be funded, I suspect the operating grants would change if you aren't providing full time care.

Yes you will get clients. It depends and varies by area but in my area there are a TON that only want two days a wk. I think u'd get more with the two full days a wk versus the 6-2 days. Not many parents work those hrs and if it's infants and toddlers they'll have to pick up during nap time at 2pm. I think 2-3 full days a wk like 7-5 u will find clients.

Shy
    Thank you to all who replied! I am in Winnipeg and there is a big waiting list here. There seems to be a demand for spaces. Babydom, thanks also for your thoughts on the Tuesday/thursday, and your point about 2 pm being a bad time for pick-up, as it will be nap time. I plan to be licensed, but not funded. Thanks again to all!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kali Fireweed For This Useful Post: