Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swearing

Outgoing

Swearing

I have a mom that would like to sign up for daycare for September. She told me that her 2 year old child swears, sometimes it's like Tourette's. I'm a little concerned about my other clients. I have three children that are learning to speak and I'm concerned they'll be copying this little girl. I already had an issue with one of my moms that thought her daughter was swearing in reality she was trying to say the word "truck". WWYD?

I'd have to see for myself what mom is saying this little is saying. I'd do a wk or two wk trail period. See if she's just trying to say truck or if she is indeed saying bad words very often during the day. Then I wouldn't feel comfortable with a child who,swears around my other kids.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am sooo curious where a 2 yr old child would hear these words. Tourette's Syndrome or not, a child doesn't just make up swear words. They hear them from adults. I would take this as a sign that I would not be willing to accept this child into care just because kids do repeat things and others do pick it up.

Euphoric !
    Knowing that you already have a daycare parent that is nitpicking about swearing you would be asking for conflict by taking on the new child. If you do take the new child then be prepared to lose the current family. Regardless of what condition causes the swearing, the others in the group will either pick it up of constantly be on the new child's case to stop something she may not be able to stop. I agree she is repeating what she has heard at home so it does tell you what you are getting into.

Euphoric !
    My son friend in school have Tourettes. It my only experience with it so don't know if this friend is typical or not. Mostly facial tics but odd outburst verbally. He explain the more he try to control it, worst it is. He only swear when it happening and not normally in conversation.
    It worse in High School than in Elementary but his family not swear so when he little, he not know swearing vocabulary because not exposed to these words to have. Used to say "poopyhead" and similar before Elementary. Cuss words got stronger in later Elementary years and the worst once in High School.
    I trying to explain really that little kids who not heard strong cuss words, not have then to pull out when in middle of Tourette's tics which is when normally it happens. The f bombs have to have a source and have to be known to the child. It doesn't just happen that they magically know these words even when having medical issues were cursing is real symptom.
    If you already have one client who feel strongly about cursing, or any other behaviors, you have to decide if taking a new client, knowing their child has this behavior is worth it. Sometime, if you have great client, it not worth losing them just to accept someone unknown into home.
    Same if taking on child known to bite, punch, steal, etc.

Outgoing
    Sorry I probably didn't word this well. The child that was trying to say the word truck has been in my daycare for about 6 months now. The child that swears is the daughter of the lady I had the interview with recently. The mom claims that there were renters across the street from her that partied and would use profanity.
    The girl doesn't have Tourette's syndrome, it's just the way mom is describing how the swearing happens.
    I am having reservations regarding this so I think I better listen to my gut feeling and not accept her as a client. Thank you so much for the prompt replies ladies!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to daycaremom9 For This Useful Post: